Monday, July 8, 2013

Reflection in Maine after a family reunion



It’s morning in Maine and it has started to rain and I have gone in to sit at Bob Stickland's computer to write down some thoughts. 

After a highway crowded with vacationers (like us) returning from or going to their destinations- highway I- 95 going in the opposite direction was bumper to bumper from Maine to Massachusetts.  We were coming from the family reunion in Pennsylvania and going to visit friends in Maine and we arrived road weary but strangely invigorated after the last 8 miles on a two lane road with no traffic and now going so slowly we could appreciate the rock formations on the curves, the people walking their dogs in the early evening. Our friends greeted us and apologized for the heat- they had been trying to cool down the upstairs all day- this is a house and area which are strangers to air conditioning. The upstairs- sleeping quarters for guests and children are rustic and besides why would anyone need air conditioning in Maine on the coast? But the world is changing and apologies are given for it not being a luxury suite in a hotel. But I came for the company and the simplicity of life in this summer cabin on the water outside of Friendship, Maine.

Not the dock but it sure looks like it
We went to bed early (9:00) and I got up late for me (5:00). It was cool in the evening and very cool in the morning waking up to the sound of lobster boats busy at work. I climbed down the narrow stairs and went out to the porch and watched the work of the lobstermen and listened to the birds sing and signal to each other from the trees in the forest to the gulls, ducks and mergansers in the water. My mind slowed down and instead of reading the books on Jung that I had packed to prepare for the course I was taking beginning in late August, I stopped and gave thanks for the honor of being alive and being with friends and family.

I thought over the last several days of being with the Farmer family reunion. I am not a Farmer by occupation or name but my father’s sister married Len Farmer and the six Farmers children and the four Wilson children shared two of the same grandparents. Three of the Farmer boy cousins, Len Jr., Joe, and Michael have died and we were placing Mike’s ashes into the family grotto on his “farm”. The family had gone on a dinner cruise on a paddle wheeler on the Susquehanna River and OH the noise of the children from two year olds to teenagers greeting their cousins and running up and down the two decks! It reminded me of the times when I was a child and the cousins would visit- yes it had been a year since we had last seen each other but the time evaporated and the renewing began. My father of course would never have allowed all that noise and would have to stop us numerous times- but this time there was no one who wanted the noise to stop. My cousin Susan and I were the only members of those cousin gatherings of long ago alive and attending this gathering. At the family picture taken Pat and I were put in the front row seats with the younger children at our feet and the younger members standing behind – about 50+ of us -because we were the part of the senior members- how a half century changes your place in a picture. But everybody was there. I looked at Len, Joe and Mike’s children and grandchildren and saw their fathers in how they laughed or got serious. Being right and wrong in matters did not seem to matter. It reminded me of a poem by Rumi: “Beyond the ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field. I will meet you there.”

One member of the clan got off by himself and downwind smoked a cigar. My grandfather used to smoke a cigar- heck all the adults used to smoke then - but now he was the only one of these new generations gathered to smoke. I was flooded by memories of how the grandchildren would go into his room and he would give us tootsie rolls and ask us how we were doing- and always the cigar smell of that room. I thought it was great! The me memories blossomed as I thought of riding in Little Len’s (that is what the cousins called Len Jr. in the southern fashion) new convertible with the wind blowing all around us and my grandmother had to put a scarf over her hair and act as if she was having fun. I remember Mike getting into trouble yet again and we thought he was so cool. I remembered Joe’s wedding to this absolutely gorgeous Italian-American girl in Scranton and how I was bowled over with her beauty and the fact that she had learned how fix food for Joe and his diabetes and nephritis because she loved him. That memory was even greater as I looked at his widow – still gorgeous and all of their straight from central casting darkly Italian looking children and grandchildren- so different from the Scotch-Irish, French and English pale skin types but now so much a part of the family – as she helped Mike’s widow Jan who had been cooking for weeks, and Len’s children and Susan children put all the home made food on the groaning tables for breakfast and dinner. I saw the original cousins’ boys gathered around the grills cooking the ribs, steaks, hot dogs, and chicken wings and sharing stories of their children and sharing advise about should you allow a 15 year old to go steady? , and about how some of them were doing at college.


Pat and I did not stay for the whole reunion- we are the old people now and we left early to go back to the motel to get rest for the long trip the next day. The reunion would continue for hours more as they would gather around the fire pit and tell stories of the past and hopes for the future. It was a blessed day and a blessed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment