Saturday, January 3, 2015

Lettimng Synchronicity Shine


A Reflection for Feast of Epiphany (Transferred) All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, NC January 4, 2015 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Letting Synchronicity Shine
There is a concept called “Synchronicity”, where two or more, not caused or rationally-related, events happen around the same time, and meaning is given in the connection by an observer. I had that happen this week. I was all set to plan a service for the Second Sunday of Christmas, which should be celebrated on January 4th , the 11th Day of Christmas. I came into work and Judy, the Parish Administrative Assistant, cut me off before I retreated to my office and gave me a note from Steve, out Organist/Choir Director, asking if we would be transferring the Feast of Epiphany from January 6th to January 4th. I have done it before, but according to the rubrics, I can’t do that – so don’t tell the Bishop.

There was something about that day when I was talking with Judy. The lessons for daily Morning Prayer were from the Feast of the Holy Innocents, the day when the Gospel lesson from Matthew remembers how, after the Wise Men had left the Holy Family, Joseph had a dream where an angel warned him to take the family and flee the coming violence and immigrate to Egypt because Herod, ruled by his own paranoia, had ordered the slaughter of all children in Bethlehem under the age of two. 
 
Years pass as the Holy Family are undocumented aliens in a foreign country, and Jesus lives through the beginning of his life as a homeless refugee in Egypt. The lectionary schedule for the 2nd Sunday of Christmas tells the story of the flight into Egypt and the return after Herod’s death but leaves out the slaughter, probably because they didn’t want the story to be a downer for the children. However, I knew that I would have to include the story when I first looked at the lessons a couple weeks ago, and I knew I would need to speak to how we have this human tendency to reduce people to objects for political or economic purposes. The title was going to be “A Voice is Heard in Ramah”, and it would focus in on the line which Matthew quotes from Jeremiah, “A voice is heard in Ramah, wailing and loud lamentation, Rachael weeping for her children, because they are no more.” That seemed to fit because 2014 had been a year of weeping over horrible slaughter in the world, all those children fleeing violence trying to cross the border into our country, and for more than enough deaths in our parish.

I walked into the office and, boy, I did not want to talk about the tears of 2014. I saw that Steve’s question gave me an out – I could leave that all behind and jump to the joy of the Wise Men coming to find the Holy Family and bringing gifts. We would sing “We Three Kings of Orient Are” and I would laugh instead of cry as I remembered when I was a child and corralled into being a Wise Man in the Christmas pageant. Before we would go on, the other two Kings and I, in our bathrobes, would giggle our way through the parody, “We three kings of Orient Are trying to smoke a rubber cigar, it was loaded, it exploded . . . we two Kings of Orient are,” and so on, and on. I thought this was synchronistic, and I thought the meaning of the two unconnected events, my reluctance to go into my own tears and Steve’s way out, was a gift telling me to leave all tears behind in 2014. 
 
But after I turned on my computer and started to study the lessons for Epiphany to prepare for the Bible Study class I use to sound things out, I opened up the word processing program and there was an open document I did not remember putting on the computer. It was a poem I had not seen before. Maybe I had forgotten – as an old man, that sometimes happens - or maybe somebody had used my computer. I called Keith Dey, the Lutheran Pastor who had done a Memorial Service on Sunday afternoon in the All Saints’ Sanctuary at the same time I was doing an Internment of Ashes up in Pine Island (I did tell you there has been a lot of death). Keith had downloaded the poem and had forgotten to close the program, but it was exactly what I needed to read - more synchronicity taking place. The sonnet is called Tears, written in 1891 by Lizette Woodworth Reese (1856-1935):
Lizette Woodworth Reese
When I consider Life and its few years --
A wisp of fog betwixt us and the sun;
A call to battle, and the battle done
Ere the last echo dies within our ears;
A rose choked in the grass; an hour of fears;
The gusts that past a darkening shore do beat;
The burst of music down an unlistening street,--
I wonder at the idleness of tears.

Ye old, old dead, and ye of yesternight
Chieftains, and bards, and keepers of the sheep
By every cup of sorrow that you had,
Loose me from tears, and make me see aright
How each hath back at once he stayed to weep:
Homer his sight, David his little lad!

The poem suggested to me that a life without tears, or a life without joy, is flat and one- dimensional. Tears, as she says, “make me see aright.” Tears are part of the very fabric of the universe and the very essence of being human.

More synchronicity occurred as I talked that day with a man who soldiered during one of our country’s many wars, and he said, “Humans are the only animals who kill for purposes other than food.”

The next day I was talking with a man who was out of town on the day of Jim MacDonald’s service, but he related that as he was with his family, he was able to speak of things that needed to be talked about with his own extended family, and it was precious time. I suggested that maybe they were able to talk together because they realized that life was too important to be wasted.

I decided that we needed to take a look at the entire story of this part of Matthew for it gives us a more complete vision of what was going on in the world of the Holy Family and what goes on in world of our families. The Wise Men were astrologists who believed that human life was reflected in the stars, and they studied the stars and humans with wonder. They came from the East and saw the cruelty, the love, the tears, the joy of being that into which our God chose to empty Godself out and become full human. They were wise because they understood that wisdom in life is fully discovered when we realize that we are selfish and generous, cruel and loving, tearful and laugh-filled creatures of the God who loved us so much that God became human, that humans might shine with the light of Christ into all the world.

Fannie Lou Hamer  copied from http://socialjustice.ccnmtl.columbia.edu/
I am reminded of a woman I heard speak at a meeting in the 1960’s, named Fannie Lou Hammer, the youngest of 20 children born to a black sharecropper family in 1917 in Mississippi. By age 13 she would pick 200-300 pounds of cotton a day. Without her knowledge or consent, she was sterilized by a white doctor in the State’s effort to keep down the black population. She got involved in the Civil Rights struggle and her family lost their jobs. She said, "They kicked me off the plantation, they set me free. It's the best thing that could happen. Now I can work for my people." She was jailed, beaten, and left with permanent damage to her kidneys, but she said later, "I guess if I'd had any sense, I'd have been a little scared - but what was the point of being scared? The only thing they could do was kill me, and it kinda seemed like they'd been trying to do that a little bit at a time since I could remember." One time she and a group of activists were riding to a meeting and the bus broke down in the dark in Klan country, and there was so much fear and so many tears, so she sang hymns to keep spirits up. One of them became the title of her autobiography, “This little Light of Mine”. I remember hearing her and Pete Seeger sing it on the stage that night, and if you know it, please sing along with me:
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

All around my neighborhood, I’m going to let it shine
All around my neighborhood, I’m going to let it shine
All around my neighborhood, I’m going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

Everywhere I go, I’m going to let it shine
Everywhere I go, I’m going to let it shine
Everywhere I go, I’m going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

The season of Epiphany says that the light has come into the world and the light helps us to see the shadows we would like to ignore as well as the joy that we get too busy to see. The light of Christ shows us that there is no place on earth that is hidden from God’s love. Today let your light shine. “Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment