Thursday, February 11, 2016

Coming Out Of The Wilderness



A Reflection for I Lent                       All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Southern Shores, NC 
February 14, 2016                                Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Deuteronomy 26:1-11             Romans 10:8b-13       Luke 4:1-13     Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16
Coming Out of the Wilderness

One of the themes of the lessons for today that really resonated with me has to do with coming out of the wildernesses in our lives. The way out, the lessons suggest, is - to use the words of the 46th Psalm - to “Be still and know that the Lord is God”.

In Deuteronomy, the passage advises on how to give thanks for being able to enter into a place where the people can live free and grow. They had been slaves in Egypt and went into the wilderness to find a new way of living. They had been wandering for most of their lives, but now they have changed and come into an awareness that they have entered into a new kind of life. They are to be still and know that the Lord is God.

In the Psalm for today, the Psalmist is singing that we hear the invitation from the Lord to enter into a place of refuge.  In that place, we can enter into a new kind of creation where the relationship can change us and we can live free and grow. We are to be still and know that the Lord is God.

In the Romans passage, Paul is telling the church in Rome that in Christ there is a new kind of creation going on and that calls for a new kind of life. In others parts of the Letter to the Romans, Paul is saying that before they knew Christ they had been wandering, but since they have brought Christ into their lives, there is a whole new way of looking at the world. It is time now to live free and grow and to be still and know that the Lord is God.

In the Gospel lesson, Jesus is in the wilderness and he is trying to find his true self. The temptations are: 1)to make the stones into bread and thereby view his own needs as the reason for his being,  2) to be the Ruler of the Kingdoms of the World and thereby find meaning in the performance of mastery over others, 3) to throw himself off the Temple and thereby impress others. He turns from those temptations and knows that he is to be still and know that the Lord is God, and he finds refuge and strength from God’s angels.

These are the temptations we all have as we grow up. We begin life being expelled from the world we once knew in the womb and we enter into a wilderness.   We have to learn a new way of living and meeting our own needs becomes the center of our lives. Babies cry when they need to be fed and gradually they learn how to manipulate their environment and get people to meet their needs. That is good - that is how the ego develops and we are able to see ourselves as  having the power to get our needs met, one way or another. Our worth is determined by what we are able to have or have control over.

The second step in life is to develop a mastery over people, places, and things. Here is where education comes in . I remember the words of my father as he encouraged me to  work hard in school so that I could be a success instead of a mere functionary.  He would say, “Life is a lot easier when you are standing on top of the ditch telling others how you want the ditch dug rather than being down in the ditch getting orders from someone else.” This is good, for our ego wants us to be masters of our universes. Our worth is determined by our performance.

The third temptation is to be impressive and show people all that we can do as our ego demands that people pay attention to us.  Our worth is determined by the opinions of others.

So far so good, except that when we sell ourselves out to judging our worth based on our possessions, performances, and the opinions of others, we lose sight of who we are and enter into a wilderness of being “human doings” instead of “human beings”.  We are strangers to ourselves. It is now time to be still and know that the Lord is God - not our possessions, not our accomplishments, and not the opinions of others.

Let me tell you about a church I visited  when I visited my daughter recently. I had been there on a previous visit years ago. It is a beautiful building and they have lots of money. I had walked a mile from my daughter’s house on a beautiful spring day and was impressed with the outside. Inside, while it was pretty, it was the early service and no one spoke to me - even the usher handing me the bulletin did not look at me. There was a quiet in the place, but there was no stillness; there was only sullenness, for they seemed not to attend the service to come out of the wildernesses of their souls, but they came bringing  their wildernesses with them  and nursing their resentments. The service was straightforward, and the sermon was a collection of lamentations about the way the world was going to hell in a handbasket and how the larger Episcopal Church was being sold out to moral libertines, scriptural illiterates, and theological midgets. There is an old saying that Scripture is the Sword of Truth; well, that priest  knew a heck of a lot of scripture, but he was using it as a club instead of a sword. There was so much anger in that place; I felt like I was in the wilderness.  And maybe it was my imagination, but when I came up for communion, I thought it was being given to me grudgingly because I had not proved my worth to receive it. I left muttering all the way to my daughter’s house because I surely was not in love and charity with my neighbor and perhaps was indeed unworthy to receive. I made the decision that I would never darken the doorway of that place ever again.

Over the years I would read about this church and its attempts to divide the congregation.  It was a sordid mess. After the dust had cleared, the Bishop brought in an interim to bring about healing, and he was followed by yet another interim.  During my recent visit was the last Sunday that this Interim was going to be there because the Rector-elect was on his way. On that particular Sunday I needed to go to a church for I was feeling like I was in a sort of wilderness with anxiety over some people I love. I need to be still and know that the Lord is God and thought the comforting presence of a religious ritual would help. So I set off in the snow to walk the mile to the church for the 8:00 service.  The building looked the same and yet everything was different.  I got there before the ushers got there, so I picked up my own bulletin and went to a pew. The quiet was there, but in place of sullen silence there was a peaceful stillness as I closed my eyes to meditate. I looked up and there was an Episcopal Franciscan Friar stopping at my pew, and he enfolded me in an embrace of welcome as if I had come home. The service followed that welcoming and I was treated to one of the best sermons I had ever heard.  The Interim related his experiences of being privileged to have served at this place where, 31 years ago as a senior in Seminary, he had taken his diocesan canonical exams. The Priest was a deeply spiritual man, and I could feel that the Lord was in that place. There was no need to have anxiety about what I possessed, or what I had accomplished, or if I needed to impress.  All I had to do was to be still and know that the Lord is God, and I was fed by angels who shared refuge and strength.

I stole the invitation to communion  and the blessing they used, which are in today’s bulletin - I only steal from the best. Later in the presentation after the service, the Senior Warden commented on how the interim always ended his sermons, and I remembered it from a Franciscan retreat years ago. So let me share that with you. Just repeat each line after me.

Be still and know that the Lord is God.
Be still and know the Lord
Be still and know
Be Still
Be
Coming Out of the Wilderness (poem)

Walking one anxious step in front of another
waiting to find places to make holy sacrifices
of weighty burden turning it to fragrant spices
when I was accosted by Franciscan brother
who without words started lifting burdened.
Come unto me you who are heavy laden
and I will give you rest from a faux Eden.
Be now still, turn wilderness to verdanted,
transform seeing scarcity into an abundance,
encourage shy participating in joyful dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment