Thursday, December 22, 2016

Poem for My 70th Birthday



Reflection On My 70th Birthday.
“Mothers, Prepare to Receive Your Babies” new each morning.
came the call from the loud speakers blaring out their warning
the day after my mother waddled off the train to go in hospital
through 20's Midwestern cold; snow on ground was but a little,
my father holding on to her, loving each other in new situation
as Nana cares for the one year old, prepares for coming invasion.
My parents married during the war, each no longer feared losing
but looking forward to gaining. He no longer worked destroying,
now back from the war in a school learning of building bridges
and how to plan roads being able to climb over mountain ridges
at the same time learning of peace and being husband and father.
It was almost Christmas, the second he’d spent with my mother
in the five years they had been married, building for one more
child to follow and live dreams of peace perhaps for evermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment