Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Peace Is On This Place


Poem and Preliminary Notes for Reflection of 7 July, 2019
Thomas E. Wilson + Retired
Theme: “God's peace is on this place”

Lessons for the 4th Sunday After Pentecost July 7, 2019

Part of the Elisha Saga of stories. The prophet Elisha in the Northern Kingdom of Israel, Samaria, agrees to help bring about a restoration of wholeness and healing for Naaman, the General of the Armies of an enemy of Israel. Elisha say he will do this so that Naaman “may know that there is a Prophet in Israel”. The story of the Northern Kingdom is full of stories of Corrupt and Incompetent Kings who keep turning their backs on God, but God is still there and calls faithful people to bring in peace to those who come to that place. The prideful alien Naaman immerses himself in a new found grace given by strangers.
The Psalmist sings a Thanksgiving of being restored to wholeness.
Paul writes that all the religious stuff that we practice is irrelevant since God's Peace, wholeness is already here for all those who will claim it.
Jesus sends out 72 (or 70) men (and women?) to proclaim God's love and healing. He tells them: “Whatever house you enter, first say, `Peace to this house!' And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person . . . cure the sick who are there, and say to them, `The kingdom of God has come near to you.' But whenever you enter a town and they do not welcome you, go out into its streets and say, `Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet, we wipe off in protest against you. Yet know this: the kingdom of God has come near.'”

Thoughts:
SHALOM, God's peace, is what good Jews would say “Hello” or “God Bless” to a neighbor; it doesn't just mean an absence of conflict but a declaration of healing, wholeness, prosperity and justice. It is a declaration that the space between us is Holy Ground and God is present and will use us to help to bring it about. Kingdom of God is not a geographic place but a metaphor for any place where live as if God's love and wholeness are present in people's lives be they citizens or aliens

This is the week of the 4th of July which is an anniversary of the day the 2nd Continental Congress set forth a document that defined the underlying hopes of a nation “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

In the news this week are stories of Immigrants who have crossed our river border searching for a new healing of life. Painful pictures of a father and child drowning to death in the Rio Grande in a pursuit of happiness.

Like Israel's Kings, we have at times chosen leaders who are corrupt and/or incompetent and we have often overlooked the Creator given rights of our neighbors: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
We have often thought of our own desires and advantages as more important than our neighbors We as Christians are called to proclaim by word and deed that the Kingdom of God has come near by working for God's Peace.

Personal Remembrance of receiving “Peace”
I had an older brother, Paul, who was the much loved only child, until a year and four days later I came on the scene as the alien interloper. He may have resented me but he also knew he had a responsibility for me. One summer day, I do not know if I was 3 or 4, we were at my grandfather's place for the annual visit back to the country,and we were at the pond on his property. My father was still at work in Salvador and my mother was looking after my infant younger sister, Anne. I was instructed of course to not go into the deep end, but I never really paid attention to direction well even then. I remember going out deeper and I still have a memory of seeing water above my eyes and how beautiful it was. Before I had a chance to breathe in much of the water, Paul grabbed me and pulled me back to safety.

It has been over a quarter of a century since my older brother died, but each year I realize that Paul saved my life to have liberty and the pursuit of happiness from the choice I made that day; he did a small thing but proclaimed Peace to me.

It was a small thing he did, but it made all the difference in my life. What do I do, small or large, in proclaiming Peace?

POEM
Peace Is On This Place:
My proud Naaman steps deep in alien Jordan river
guessing that the waters in Damascus were better
to wash clean; pure without being such a debtor
to that grace not demanding payment to the giver.

I open my eyes to see water above my sighs,
sun dappling light highlighting pretty bubbles
rising to the surface, taking away the troubles
caused by chasing my life after the shiny prize.

There is a peace in which I knew I could die
in order to live in another way so I would care
for my brothers I knew not of and life to share
for liberty and pursuit of happiness under the sky.

Breathing a peace that came beyond understanding,
I resolve anew to reach beyond mere tribal branding.

1 comment: