Saturday, April 4, 2020

Peter's Sword: Reflection and Poem for Palm Sunday 2020

Poem/Reflection for Palm Sunday 
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Nags Head, N.C.  
April 5, 2020 
Thomas E. Wilson, Supply Clergy 
Matthew 21:1-11Matthew 26:14-27:66 

Peter's Sword 

The lessons for Palm Sunday focus on 1) Jesustriumphal entry into Jerusalem and 2) Matthew's Passion Narrative of the Last Supper, anguished prayers, arrest, trial, crucifixion, death and burial of Jesus. You know the story; you have heard it before. Usually I don't do a reflection or Poem for Palm Sunday, I let the stories speak for themselves, but since I had so much time on my hand with the “Stay at home” order during this Covid19 virus crisis, I thought I would see what it says to me today. 

One part of the passage struck me especially this year:“Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.’” 

Other Gospels remember Peter was the “one of those with Jesus” who drew his sword. I tried to understand what it was with Peter that caused him to fight back. I went into his fear and discovered again how I also have an initial reaction to fight back against threats. I have a desire to show how powerful I am with a “Don't tread on ME, nobody messes with Tom Wilson!” show of power. 

The “stay at home” order was a similar threat to my power to set my own agenda. The danger of infection was real and especially true for old folk like me. I, with a group of six other ministers of the Ministerial Association, do volunteer Chaplaincy work at the local hospital. One week out of every six weeks, I am on call to visit patients or families or staff in the Emergency Room, or the rest of the Hospital, to pastorally help people deal with disturbing events of their lives. Except, two of us in that group, both of us way over 60 years old, were told that our pastoral work would be restricted to phone or video conferencing. 

It was a sound decision, based on fact; but I wanted to swagger over there and tell them: “Although the hair on my head is gray, I can handle anything! So there!”As I remarked to a friend at the time, “It is not the first time I have been told that I am too oldfor something.” My parents would say it from time to time when I was a child. Some friends told me when I was in my midlife crisis deciding to go to seminary. Some churches did not want a middle age man as the bright shiny new curate. My wife reminds me of my age from time to time. My doctor might still say it during the annual physical next month. 

My reaction reminded me of my reaction every time I see red flags on the lifeguard stands on the beach during the summer. The red flags mean the water is dangerous due to storms or riptides which could sweep even the most powerful swimmers out to sea and drown them. The danger of riptides is that they can catch you and pull you out deeper. If I panic and try to swim against that riptide, back toward the beach, I will get exhausted and drown; but if I swim parallel to the beach, out of the riptide, then I have a much better hope of getting back to shore. Also I will not put a lifeguard's life in danger who will try to save me from stupid decisions. I know this because I have been called to be a chaplain to the families who had a member who ignored the red flag. Except, even knowing the warning that the red flag signals,there is a part of me that wants to prove my manhood with the, not all that bright, thought that I am no mere mortal. I want to prove that I don't have fear.  

The primitive brain calls for only two reactions to fear:fight or flight. However, Jesus kept telling his disciples, and us, “Don't be afraid!” He didn't day, “Swagger and be stupid” nor “Runaway and hide”. Jesus always gives a third option;and in this instance,the task is to be aware of the fear, and then let it go. Don't let your life be ruled by fear but use wisdom and common sense. Easter tells us, in God's plan -Easter does come after Palm Sunday, that all things are redeemed. 

The New Testament uses a warning against fear over a hundred times. Don't be ruled by fear.Rather, be ruled by love. In the Hospital situation: Is it loving for me to place others lives in danger by going into the hospital to do chaplaincy work when I might be passing on the virus, or using up scarce equipment, or claiming limited time, or resources or a hospital bed that might be needed by someone else, or pass it on to my family, parishioners or staff? In the Red flag situation: Is it loving for me to risk a lifeguard's life in danger, a lifeguard, some of whom were once children that I prepared for confirmation, or trained as acolytes, or held when they cried, or laughed with them and whose parents trusted me to do the loving thing? 

Jesus tells us “Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.” We will all die, but also those who live by fear will die in fear. Those who live in love will rest in God's love when they die.  

Peter's Sword 
Red flags on lifeguard stands telling  
me the riptides are running going out, 
seducing me to struggle on that route: 
show strength against wave swelling! 
Reminds me of Peter's hand reaching 
for an ever-present sword to prideful 
actions against all we see as frightful, 
forgetting for moments HIS teaching. 
This our Hope keeps repeating to me, 
over and over again, “I” power alone 
will not make the life currents atone; 
swim out of swagger into rest of sea.” 
Our hope keeps whispering into ear,
Don't be afraid -let go of the fear.”

No comments:

Post a Comment