Friday, May 22, 2020

Doing Doxology?

Poem/Reflection for VII Easter                                         St. Andrew's by the Sea, Nags Head, N.C. May 24, 2020                                                                       Thomas E Wilson, Supply Clergy

Doing Doxology?

The Gospel lesson for today has part of what is known as the High Priestly Prayer of Jesus on the Mount of Olives. He is praying for the disciples whom he loves. Jesus knows he will soon be arrested, tried, condemned and killed by the religious leaders whose troops are on their way. Jesus is giving glory to God and is asking that his life be given as a Glory to God. He is not saying “Oh, poor me!” but is asking that his life be a gift. I want to take a look at one word in the Gospel story for today from John's Gospel over and over again “glory”, or in the Koine Greek, δόξα, (doxa), a word that is repeated six times in these 11 verses.

The reading from the Book of the Acts of the Apostles remembers when the disciples see Jesus for the last time after the resurrection and the angel tells them not to keep looking up to heaven, for the Spirit of the Risen Lord will come again. The disciples gather a community for prayer and support, to give each other strength and hope. They stop the mindless squabbling about who is the greatest, send their egos out to lunch and thank God for the opportunity to be together to change the world. The Spirit of the Risen Lord is in the space between the members of this community, when they give thanks to God as they search for the next step in their shared mission. Next week, we will come to the Pentecost story when this small community is driven out of their upper room in order to create community with the larger world to speak of God's glory; to do doxology in the wider world.

You may have heard the word “Doxology” before; it comes from the Greek δοξολογία; doxa – glory and logia - saying. We say the traditional doxology, written by Bishop Thomas Ken in the late 1600's, often: 
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; 
praise him, all creatures here below; 
praise him above, ye heavenly host:
praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

St. Andrew's tends to sing the doxology often – when we have picked up the offerings of the people and offer them to God as a praise and thanks to God. These gifts are outward and visible signs of the inward and spiritual gifts that we have been given. We do not sing the song to pat ourselves on the back about how we are making the church's budget, but as a moment that we say to God something like, “All things come from Thee O Lord and of Thine own have we given Thee! For all the blessings that are happening in our lives, we acknowledge that they are gifts of grace from the unexplainable, unfathomable mysterious Glory that is God!” The task is to do, not just say, doxology.

There is an old joke; you may have heard it before: An Episcopal Priest was traveling dressed up in his Clerical Collar on an airplane, and the airline attendant comes to him and whispers, “Father, the Pilot has told me that there is a problem with the airplane and could you do something religious?” So the Priest went to the front of the Passenger Cabin and started to pass around a collection plate. Usually the church does a collection every Sunday. Except during this time of Virtual Church, we never quite get around to passing a virtual plate.

Every morning when I wake up and take a walk in the predawn darkness, I struggle to accept a virtual plate, to find a way that I can offer my life, time and energy to the Glory of God. I start off by giving thanks for the moon, stars and planets that I see in the firmament of the heavens Then there is the tinge of color in the east where the sun will rise to give me a new day. I acknowledge the glory of the calls of the animals as they prepare for their dawn of a new day in their lives. In my silent prayers, without religious language and words, I ask – how can my life be free from my ego, the desire for self-gratification and glory for myself, so I might and shine a light in thanksgiving on what God is doing? How can I do, and not just say, doxology?

Some of you know that when I was much younger, I had dreams of being a famous actor. It was the 1960's and I had a lot of talent, but found I disliked myself. In the 60's, the world was falling apart with wars, discrimination and poverty and I seemed so shallow to myself, that all I wanted was glory for myself. I was not mature enough to see that a play was a way of speaking truth to people who needed to deal with their lives. If I got applause, I would pat myself on the back and never stop to give thanks to the playwright who gave me the opportunity to get into this character. Going into the demons of the character was a way of dealing with the demons who were really part of my own life; but I did not realize that then. I could not give thanks for all of the supporting actors and crew who made me look good. It was all about my own glory. I was the center of my own universe. I could share the physical stage with other people, but it was all about me. The only way out of that was to consciously participate in a community of faith to support one another in praising God for the strength to change and be good stewards of the world given to us by God. The only way out was to do, not just say, doxology.

However, my ego, like an unwanted house guest, keeps making visits and staying for a while. It was not the job that was the problem; when I went into being a Social Worker, I was even then striving to be a standout. I wish I could say that being ordained changed that; but as the saying goes, “The problem only comes back on the days of the week ending in the letter 'y'.” As the Epistle lesson for today from 1st Peter warns: “Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith.” As part of my discipline and keeping alert, I have to be like the disciples. So, when I see the devouring jaws of my ego, I have to start each day, give glory to God, take the virtual collection plate to place my soul in God's care and gather with a community of faith. I have to do, not just say, doxology.

Five Sundays from now, your new Priest will be leading you in the services. I do not know if he will plan to have the Doxology in the service. That is his decision, but singing it is much less important than doing doxology with him in this community of faith.

So how are you doing Doxology today?

Doing Doxology?
That Lion is on the prowl tonight,
sniffing the air for an ego spree,
when I conclude it’s all about me,
longing for a shot of glory bright.
But one shot is not ever enough,
after the one praise, have to score,
then I keep coming back for more.
I tell my sane self; it is only fluff.
Need to thank LORD for failures,
that to me come often to remind,
that we can have a faithful mind,
when we walk in steps of savior's.
Who gave himself as true offering
giving strength for ego conquering.

No comments:

Post a Comment