Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Irresponsible Actions


Irresponsible Actions              June 30, 2020 Reflection

The fireworks season began last night. My wife woke up and said she heard someone firing a gun and our dog, Yoda, the Wonder Dog, was hyperventilating. I told her to go back to sleep because this happens every year the week before July 4th. Every vacationing renter to the Outer Banks gets a notice in their rental package:
“North Carolina prohibits the possession of any pyrotechnics which launch or propels into the air, or which explode making a sound or "report." Sparklers, fountains and ground displays are allowed only with adult supervision and when exercising extreme caution and fire prevention. Fireworks are illegal in Dare County, including all towns and villages.”

Last week, as always, the week before the 4th of July, the parking lot in front of the local Walmart a tent is set up to sell fireworks and it does a brisk business. Last night was a Monday night, all the renters have moved in for the week and boredom sets in; and a sure fire cure for boredom is to do something that is irresponsible!

Yesterday, the top health officer of the County said, that despite what we locals want to believe, the highest number of newest cases of Covid – 19 virus were from locals giving it to locals at large gatherings without maintaining proper physical distance and wearing facial covering. She urged against irresponsible behavior by locals.

The collect for the service for the 4th of July understands that liberty is not just “freedom from” but “freedom for” responsibilities of that liberty. The Prayer goes:
Lord God Almighty, in whose Name the founders of this country won liberty for themselves and for us, and lit the torch of freedom for nations then unborn: Grant that we and all the people of this land may have grace to maintain our liberties in righteousness and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Yesterday, Pat and I were walking on the circle of our street and one of my neighbors' cars was running. There was no one in the car and probably she left it running to go back into the house to pick up something. Suddenly, I had this incredibly stupid thought cross my mind. Why not get in and drive the car away? Maybe just for a little ride and park it not so far away as a warning to her to not do that. I was flummoxed by that thought and I told Pat what had just passed through my mind. She looked at me, horrified that I would even consider such a dastardly deed. Yet, that part of me is indeed part of me. Oh yes, I could try to justify it be saying I was doing it to protect the environment, or as a gesture to “teach her a lesson”. But all that kind of excuse would be garbage. The thought crossed my mind because - why? Was it because I was bored with retirement, frustrated that Pat was not getting fully better and annoyed that so many things had needed to be fixed on the house and there was still more. There are lots of possible excuses! Or, was it that the irresponsible part of me, that always been there and seems to stay long after the “sell by” date, keeps coming back to invite me to take a ride on the wild side?

One of the Desert Fathers warned his monks; “You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your beard.” My prayer for today is to have “ grace to maintain our liberties in righteousness and peace.”

No comments:

Post a Comment