Tuesday, July 4, 2023

4th of July 2023

 

                            4th of July 2023

It's that, “Home of the free and land of the brave”, day,

when we are supposed to give thanks for the past and

make promises how we'll strive to make a better land,

where we'll be generous in what we do and what we say.

Yet, today I have no energy to make plans for any future,

I want to yell out, “Attention, attention must be paid!

It is not a time for celebration of a failed British raid,

but for the loss of a one I can only see in an old picture.”

I can remember walking together down to our old beach

to watch the fireworks, “Oohing” and “Aweing”,

when words failing but as a prelude to kissing

each other as if this'd be last night our love could reach.

Your beautiful worshiped body is now out of my sight;

but your love, your precious love, I'll see here tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment