Wednesday, August 29, 2012

wednesday, August 29 --Job and Yoda

Just got back from walking Yoda, the dog that came into our life next week, and then I did Morning Prayer. The Hebrew Testament lesson  right now is Job Chapter 7-- what a tension between the joyful walk with my dog trying to sniff everything in the pre-dawn air and ground- greeting each new smell with enthusiasm  and the exhaustion of Job with life. But there is one point in which they converge in part of verse 7  "Remember that my life is a breath."

Job in his misery looks back at when the days were once full of joy and now wants his life to cease breath and Yoda, less than one week out of the SPCA is thankful for each breath. Job dreading the future mourns the past and Yoda welcomes the present and leaves the past behind-- and the future for Yoda? Like he cares- all he has is today.

Job, the book says comes from the Land of Uz - but no one knows where Uz was - But those of us who have stayed more than a few days and months in the emotional land of Job know exactly where Uz is. I have known what it is like to feel what Job feels and have said in my prayers some of the same words of Job. I have friends and loved ones who are exactly in that place of Job, the land of darkest Uz, and they are in my prayers now as I did Morning Prayer.

As the Canticle from today's morning prayer from starts:Isaiah 60:1-3, 
Arise, shine, for your light has come, *
and the glory of the Lord has dawned upon you.
For behold, darkness covers the land; *
deep gloom enshrouds the peoples.
But over you the Lord will rise, *
and his glory will appear upon you.

Today I choose the l will remember that life is a breath and, like Yoda, will put my nose to work and try to sniff every breath I have.
A Prayer of Self-Dedication
Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to you, so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills, that we may be wholly yours, utterly dedicated unto you; and then use us, we pray you, as you will, and always to your glory and the welfare of your people; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment