Saturday, February 2, 2013

reflection on systems




A Homily for IV Epiphany All Saints Church, Southern Shores, N.C. February3, 2013 Thomas E Wilson, Rector         

It is good getting home again. I am at the age of my life that getting home is no longer a trauma. I remember when I came home from college, face to face with what therapists call “Family Systems theory” which states individuals cannot be fully understood outside of the systems in which they live and move and have their being. Families, and other institutions, tend to move toward “Homeostasis”, an internal balance where roles and rules are maintained in order for the system to remain the same even, and especially when things are changing and the individual will face the need to enter the roles and obey the rukles of that system. A child going to college is a difficult transition as they leave and especially when they come home and no longer want to be the obedient (or even disobedient) child they once were in the family dance. In dysfunctional families and institutions so much energy is wasted on wanting to force back members into familiar patterns of behavior. I know my parents breathed a sigh of relief when their bearded hippie son went back to school at the end of the summer and when the next year I announced that I would be working at a play 13 states away for the whole summer.


Decades later, when I came back for a High School reunion and was offered the opportunity to preach and celebrate Eucharist at the church of my youth full of nice people, I seemed to do a good job and the search committee cornered me to ask for a meeting. Part of the reason I said “No” was the fact that I would have to fight the same battles all over again of little Tommy Wilson, both the good sweet acolyte and Youth Group member and the bad kid who just didn't seem to understand the way the community wanted to return to a nostalgic past, even though the whole world, and I, had changed.

I think that is what is happening in the Gospel lesson for today as Jesus the good little boy is all grown up and the whole desert, baptism and holy spirit experience has changed him utterly. He has adopted a whole new understanding of what family, neighbor, enemy, God and the purpose of life is all about. He sees himself as a prophet in the mode of Jeremiah, not someone who sees the future but whose eyes have been opened to see God's vision for the present. We hear in the Hebrew Testament reading for today:
God reached out, touched my mouth, and said,
    “Look! I’ve just put my words in your mouth—hand-delivered!
See what I’ve done? I’ve given you a job to do
    among nations and governments—a red-letter day!
Your job is to pull up and tear down,
    take apart and demolish,
And then start over,
    building and planting.”

When he comes back home to Nazareth the community is threatened because he calls for a new dynamic of seeing the expected rules and roles. The system of the small town of Nazareth is used to the “victim” mentality. “Oh poor us, we have the Romans abusing us and the Temple crowd In Jerusalem making us feel like second class religionists. All we can do is hunker down and ask the God who seems to be napping above the clouds to redeem all this after we are dead and give us our reward when we get into heaven.”

Jesus says, “No, God is acting right here and right now as the prophesies of old are being fulfilled in your hearing. The power to turn us from victims into lovers is available, but we are going to have to be open to change so that we might appropriate the power to form a new reality.”

The people say to each other “ What does he mean “we”? Who does this uppity boy think he is?” Then they proceed to give him the bum's rush out of town based on the systems theory response that this boy doesn't understand the rules and therefore they need to protect themselves and their institutions.

In Luke's Gospel this story is a leitmotif which will repeat itself over and over again in the Gospel and in the 2nd part of Luke, the Acts of the Apostles. Jesus, or the apostles, come into the communities and challenge the conventional systems' rules and thinking about reality, and they are either shunned, killed, imprisoned or run out of town. I think Luke is trying to tell the church itself that it needs to understand that it is here not to adjust to the world but to challenge the world with another way of living.

We see this challenge especially in the Epistle lesson from Paul in the 13th chapter of 1st Corinthians where the church in Corinth had been acting as if the central principles of life were power, pleasure, success, “being right”, and control. Paul suggests that there is another way to live in this world, where Love, which had been demonstrated by Jesus is the only faithful avenue of spiritual maturity.

When the church got legal in the Roman Empire, surprise, surprise, instead of choosing love as the option, the institution chose to adapt to the world and we became the systems who shunned, killed, imprisoned or run out of town those people who challenged the mindsets of the systems that wanted things to remain the same.

This week some of us will go to the Diocesan Convention. My prayer is that we, your delegates and the convention as a whole, will be open to the Holy Spirit's view of reality instead of being trapped into the maintenance of the institutional system as our primary response. The next week the vestry will gather for their retreat, which has been put off because of illnesses. Keep the vestry in your prayers so that we will not fall into the trap of seeing the homeostasis of the institution first, instead of what God's spirit might be saying to us.

Pray for me as well for I am part of the institution, and God forgive me that in my heart of hearts I want to settle into the way in which I am used to, because that is what I know and can do. The world has changed and while Sunday morning services will stay with us, we need to see other and additional options to be “the church” outside of the reliance on the liturgical hours which mean so much to me. As Jeremiah heard:
God reached out, touched my mouth, and said,
    “Look! I’ve just put my words in your mouth—hand-delivered!
See what I’ve done? I’ve given you a job to do
    among nations and governments—a red-letter day!
Your job is to pull up and tear down,
    take apart and demolish,
And then start over,
    building and planting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment