Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reflection on the practice of restoration

A Sermon for V Easter                                     All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, NC   April 28, 2013                                                                    Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Pat and I were driving home and as we pulled into the driveway, I pressed the button on the garage door opener. The door opened up two feet and stopped. I pressed the button again, and it went down, pressed again and it went up, grudgingly. It occurred to me that it had been years since I oiled that sucker. So, I got the ladder and applied some spray lubricant to each of the moving parts. It really is not relevant to the point I want to make, but for future reference, you might want to move the cars out of the garage if you don’t want a nice sheen of oil on them when you do something like this. What can I say?   She picked me because I’m cute and not all that bright.

Anyway, back to the point I wanted to make.  After the maintenance, the garage door was functioning beautifully because everything was working in alignment. It was designed well, but it needs maintenance if it’s to continue to work at peak efficiency. You can see where I am going, can’t you? Entropy, the concept of the deterioration of all things, applies, and all things need to be taken care of and renewed - machines, houses, bodies, relationships, families, the environment, and even faith.

File:Peter's vision of the sheet with animals.jpgThe lessons for today are about God putting things back in alignment. In the Acts lesson, Peter tells how the vision he received allowed him to overcome centuries of custom which had separated Jews and Gentiles and calcified into an inflexible hardened animosity. Peter received a request from the servants of Cornelius, a Roman centurion, a member of the occupying forces and oppressors of Peter’s country. The Romans were the ones who crucified Peter’s mentor, Jesus. The request came at 3:00 in the afternoon, a time of afternoon prayers for a faithful Jew, and also the hour that Jesus died on the cross. Peter refuses to come, and who could blame him? However, the vision comes to him three times, the same number of times that Peter had denied Christ, and so it finally sinks in that, when Peter was denying a connection to this enemy stranger, Cornelius, he was denying Christ. Peter had interpreted Jesus’ last commandment at the Last Supper in the Gospel reading for today - that they love each other - in the narrowest sense of only loving the people who were like him. But the message of the vision was to shatter the attempts of continuing anachronistic division in light of the new life in Christ. Peter, allowing himself to be lubricated by the spirit of God, was able to remember that we were all created by the breath, spirit, of God, and he is given the strength to break down the walls of separation and set Cornelius free to join him in loving relationship.
File:William Blake whore babylon.jpg



File:Russian - "Praise the Lord from the Heavens" - Walters 71256.jpg


For Peter life is new.  It may be the same old place, but everything has changed. What Peter is experiencing is what the author of the Revelation shows us in the passage from that dream for today. As in all dreams, this revelation cannot be taken literally but has to be considered in light of the choice of symbols presented.  He reports he sees in this vision a “new heaven and a new earth and the sea was no more”.  Earlier in the dream the sea was the symbol of turmoil and chaos, a place out of which the beasts had come and joined forces with the dragon on the seashore. John sees God’s power destroying the beasts and dragons and the wicked city of the whore of Babylon full of greed, exploitation and violence, and in its place, John sees that now the new heaven and earth are in total alignment, lubricated with the compassion of God who will wipe away every tear and give the water of life to all. 


This new creation where all things are made new is what the Psalmist celebrates in the Psalm for today (which the 10:30 congregation sings in a paraphrase) where all creation, every bit of creation, even “sea-monsters and all deeps; Fire and hail, snow and fog, * tempestuous wind, doing his will; Mountains and all hills, * fruit trees and all cedars; Wild beasts and all cattle, * creeping things and winged birds;  Kings of the earth and all peoples, * princes and all rulers of the world; Young men and maidens, * old and young together”, all are in alignment, praising God.

This is how we enter a new creation, by praising God. How can we praise God? We can start by being in awe of God’s creation.  I am an introvert, so I find renewal when I shut down my rational thinking, where I am the center of my universe and I allow myself to be swept with awe and wonder at beauty like  when I walk across the beach feeling the wind on my face and the mist in my hair and the sun’s warmth on my body, or in my predawn walk with the stars as my light and the sounds of the animals ending their night or beginning their day, or listening to music that opens all sorts of beauty, Jazz like Dave Brubeck doing Take Five  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpnWuk3RjU ), or Cleo Laine doing Send in the Clowns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLyuqEL2YY) , or hymns like the ones we sang for this service e.g. Come my way my truth, my life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThH8pwgqEbk  , or opera, like Joan Sutherland singing Casta Diva from Bellini’s Norma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK2LwLyZAlc ) , or the sound of an Azan, the Muslim call to prayer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fLzaFtVRY ), or the Tibetan Buddhist Om Mantra ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVM8ZYODKng ), or Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RrdwElnTU ).  I have this fleeting moment of the new heaven and new earth, where everything is in alignment and all the people of the earth join together in praising the one God under whom we all are children. Then the other side of my brain kicks in and I start to think that I have all the answers, and the next thing I know this vision of a new heaven and a new earth starts to fade, and I am left with my vision of me being “right” instead of God’s vision.

What would happen if we just stopped worrying about being the one with all the right answers and worked at aligning ourselves as God’s lovers, lovers of God and one another, and worked on living in and maintaining the new heaven and the new earth?  That is a big goal. But, how about for just one minute, or one hour, or one day; one day at a time? Start off small by maintaining the small patch of the world in which you live and then move out, one day at a time. Maybe we can praise God not only with our lips but in our lives, and live into the Psalmist hope, “Let them praise the Name of the LORD, * for his Name only is exalted, his splendor is over earth and heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment