Thursday, September 19, 2013

A reflection on debts and debtors



A Reflection for XVIII Pentecost (Proper 20)                       All Saints’, Southern Shores, N.C.
 September 22, 2014                                                                        Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Jeremiah 8:18-9:1                    1 Timothy 2:1-7                      Luke 16:1-13
As I was preparing for the Bible Study this week, I was looking at the Gospel lesson and, while I have preached on this lesson at least ten different times over my ordained ministry, I did not notice the word “debtor” before. I guess I was all intent on trying to find out why the Master commended the dishonest servant, and I passed right over the word. As I prayed about it, it seemed as if the scales fell from my eyes and, for a couple of hours, I had a wonderful time thinking I had cracked the code to the meaning of this passage because I finally noticed that word, “Debtor”. 

Let me explain; how many of you for your sins have been to a Presbyterian church? My mother was a Presbyterian and my grandparents took me to their Presbyterian church on their local college campus when my brother and I were palmed off on them for part of the summer so that my parents could regain some sanity. In their version of the Lord’s Prayer, the petition is “Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors”, while the Episcopalians used “Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.” I had been told that “sin” meant not necessarily something bad but something that misses the mark and falls short of the target. I just figured that it was a disagreement in translation since to be in debt is also to fall short  I went back to my Greek concordance to back myself up, but that didn’t happen. Because while the words are synonymous, it is Matthew’s Gospel which uses the Greek word for debt and Luke’s Gospel that uses the Greek word for “sin”. 

However, I am not going to let an inconvenient surface fact get in the way of the truth. I want you to know that my Greek professor would disapprove of my playing fast and loose with the words of scripture, and my New Testament Professor is probably rolling over in his grave because the story of the “Dishonest Manager” is in Luke and not in Matthew, and it is not found in any of the other Greek manuscripts.  So I have not a shred of evidence to back me up.  But as Luther says in the 99th letter to Melanchthon,
"If you are a preacher of Grace, then preach a true, not a fictitious grace; if grace is true, you must bear a true and not a fictitious sin. God does not save people who are only fictitious sinners. Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly. For he is victorious over sin, death, and the world. As long as we are here we have to sin. This life in not the dwelling place of righteousness but, as Peter says, we look for a new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. . . . Pray boldly-you too are a mighty sinner." (Weimar ed. vol. 2, p. 371; Letters I, "Luther's Works," American Ed., Vol 48. p. 281- 282)


Suppose that I looked at this story not as a recounting of fact, but as if it were a dream.  Come on, admit it.   You knew I was going to bring up dreams again. So for those of you picked five minutes in the “How long into the sermon will it take Tom to mention dreams?” pool, you can wait for a minute to collect your winnings or you could just write down that the names of the people who are in your debt. When we look at a dream, we understand it in symbols and that is the way to understand this story - as a parable, as Jesus’ story told in dream language to the right side of our brain.  

So this is not a story about economics.  In the parable the character of the Master is a stand-in for God, and in the imagination of my prayers, I understood that the word debtor meant sinners. The manager is you and me, we are the stewards of God, and we have all squandered opportunities for God’s Kingdom to come and for God’s will to be done on earth as in heaven. In my imagination I suppose that, in God’s Kingdom, forgiveness is the norm and my job is to forgive. Suppose in the books I keep in my heart I remember every sin that has been done against me, and in that ledger each person’s sin is added to their debt: they owe me!

The image is like the ghost of Jacob Marley in Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, who comes to Scrooge bound in chains, chained for all eternity, “clasped about his middle. The chain was long, and wound about him like a tail; it was made, for Scrooge observed it closely, of cash-boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds, and heavy purses wrought in steel." 

Suppose that every sin that has been done against me is also a sin against God and those offenders are in debt to, and owe, God. Suppose I realize that God is calling for an accounting of my internal books and ledgers, the ones I chain to my heart and memory. Suppose that I do not want to go before God with all that red ink on my soul, so I go to everyone who is in my books and forgive those parts of the sins I am able to forgive at this time, not because I am a good person - I am not - but out of my own self-interest, so I don’t have to go before God with all of my resentments. Suppose that the Master (God) comes to you and me and says, “You were acting shrewdly in your own self-interest just like all those other people who are not members of churches act in their own self-interest. Thank you for doing that for, as my servant John wrote in his Gospel, “the sins that you bind on earth are bound in heaven and the sins that you loose on earth are loosed in heaven.” 

Suppose that when I forgive, it is not just me that forgives but the God within me and you that forgives, and the sinner and I and you share the same sacred ground of our being. Just saying the words is not enough, but I must ask God to cleanse me from my resentment and to change my memory so that, the next time I remember the hurt that was inflicted, the feelings of anger will be replaced by sadness for the pain that I allowed to fester for so long, and I will delight that God gave me the strength to even want to want to forgive.  Suppose that is what we are called to do when we are called by the Master to answer for the ledgers that we have chained on ourselves. Suppose that is another way of looking at this story of cooking the books, burning away all of our burdens in the fire of God’s love.

Suppose instead of holding resentments and holding on to enemies, we pray for them in thanksgiving, as the writer of 1st Timothy for today urges:  First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity.”

That is just supposing of course that Jesus taught us to forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors as the Presbyterians and Matthew say it or sins as Episcopalians and Luke say it. Maybe it is just a dream, but suppose we took it seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment