Friday, October 3, 2014

The Old Man and the Ten Words of Living Water


A Reflection for XVII Pentecost (proper 22) All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, N.C. October 5, 2014 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
The Old Man and the Ten Words of Living Water
Setting: Top of a rocky volcanic mountain covered in smoke and occasional flashes of fire. The Old Man climbs up and wipes his face with his sleeve. He rests on his staff as he is exhausted and out of breath.

Old Man: Whew! That hike up here to the top of this mountain was hard. I am not as young as I used to be... (Calling out) All right - here I am for our meeting. (Pause) I said “Here I am, Lord. It is I, Lord. I have heard you calling in the night”. Do you have anything to say to me here in the daylight? I can’t se-e-e-e you!

Voice: Here I am.

Old Man: Where?

Voice: You are standing on me. I am the ground of your being, and your feet are standing on solid ground.

Old man: Wait a minute. I know that voice. Are you the rock?

Rock: Good ear! I am a rock/ I am no longer an i-i-i-sland/ for this rock feels the pain/ and this rock does cry.

Old Man: But you are not God.

Rock: As they say in other places “the God in me greets the God in you”. We find God in the depths of each other’s soul. God is, in God’s very being, relationship - the relationship between speaker and word and the word and the spirit in the depth of the word. You humans would feel more comfortable with God as a very simple creature, an “old man above the sky” kind of being made in your own image - but God is not A being but BEING itself. If you tried to compress God into your little primitive mind, your brain would probably explode. There is a reason God doesn’t want you to make graven images because any definition of the indefinable is by its very nature incomplete. Just accept the fact that God is here in the Holy Space within you and in the Holy Space between us.

Old Man: All right. So if the Divine one does not want graven imageS, are there any other rules that I need to get?

Rock: What - you want things written in stone? Ouch - that hurts to think about it.

Old Man: Tough, but I would like some guidelines about how a community is to act. This group that I am leading in this wilderness is driving me up a tree. I need to know what is in and what is out.

Rock: You want a list of do’s and don’ts?

Old Man: That sounds good. The Babylonians had a Code under Hammurabi about 600 years ago, and the Egyptians had a code that informed the Book of the Dead. It laid out what was right and what was wrong.

Rock: But, if God is relationship, then what kind of intimate relationship will you have with a bunch of rules? I always thought that intimate relationships were an art, not a science. How about something like “Dance with one another in love to God’s music”?

Old Man: No! I want something that tells me exactly what God wants from me.

Rock: How about asking people to love God and neighbor? Would not fiery love set humans free?

Old Man: It needs to be more than that. The thing is that we humans tend to grasp life, time, treasure, things, and space instead of holding hands in a dance. I need laws that protect God from having to associate with people not worthy of the Divine.

Rock: That misses the point. The point is not our worth but God’s love.

Old Man: How about if what I am asking for is a bunch of dance steps? How about 10 dance steps to define the dance?

Rock: But where is the freedom in that?

Old Man: People don’t like freedom all that much. God gives us freedom and we feel uncomfortable with that freedom.

Rock: How about if we start off the dance rules with defining the dance partner? God is the dance partner with you and your neighbor - not your servant, not an object to be made in your own image and used for your own purposes. The dance is a holy relationship in a family of love.

Old Man; That is a good beginning. Let’s refer that to the sub-committee on style, and let that be divided into three rules about how we deal with God as an awe-filled presence in our lives, one for how we deal with time, and one for how we deal with the families in which we live. That is, uh, let’s see, five of the ten words. But we need to do some “thou shalt nots” about how we deal with neighbor, and we should be more specific than “thou shall not step on the dance partner’s toes.”

Rock: So, what would toe stomping look like?

Old Man: Things like violence, cheating, stealing, lying, and being grasping. Yeah, that about covers it! We will send that to the committee as well, and they will probably want to add clarifications and exemptions.

Rock: Let’s try it as ten words for a new day, a new life, and a new soul. But the hope is that we don’t just put the words up on the wall and forget that it is loving that is the center. If we do forget, maybe God will keep reminding us.

The Old Man and the Ten Words of Living Water
Responding to your awe-filled words;
What do you want from me?
Your fire setting me free for you
Without wounding your very being?

What do you want from me?
Can I keep my hands from grasping,
Without wounding your very being,
Holy time, talent, treasure, neighbor?

Can I keep my hands from grasping
Ten carved words on my stony heart,
Holy time, talent, treasure, neighbor
For a new day, a new will, a new soul.

Ten carved words on my stony heart.
Your fire setting me free for you
For a new day, a new will, a new soul,
Responding to your awe-filled words.

No comments:

Post a Comment