Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mountain Top Experiences



A Reflection for the Last Sunday after Epiphany                        All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, N.C. February 15, 2015                                                                Thomas E. Wilson, Rector


Mountain Top Epiphanies

This was the weekend of St. Valentine's Day. I remember 26 years ago, during the Season of Epiphany, I was vacationing in Guatemala on a trip with my mother during the week before Valentine's. I was enjoying being with my mother, but on my solitary walk in the fog one day in the highlands around Lake Atitlan, I reflected that I was really missing this woman I knew back in Virginia. My mother and I had just returned from Atitlan to Antigua, and we went shopping at the Jade Market there. 
Jade Factory in Antigua
They go wild over Valentine's Day in Guatemala, and I thought I should pick up something simple for Pat. She had given me a knock-off Rolex watch some months before which had frightened me at first because I thought it was much too expensive for the relationship at that time. We had not been that serious. I was so relieved when I found out it was a knock-off. But now I was thousands of miles away from her, and I knew I did not want to live without her.  I saw a jade necklace and I debated with myself about buying it, but as I looked at it, I looked deep into the jade and I had an epiphany when I realized that she was more precious than it. I bought it for her as my mother's eyes shot up in astonishment and she started to ask me questions about this woman she had not met.  When I got back, we made an appointment with Pat's priest to start the pre-marital process. It was an epiphany followed by reflection followed by action.
.
This is the last Sunday of Epiphany and the last Sunday before Lent.  Epiphany means a manifestation, a sudden insight and realization, when we look at something that is right before us and then realize its deeper significance and meaning. The season of Epiphany begins with the story of the Magi who see a star and have a revelation that the star means that a new kind of Kingdom is coming, and they follow the star until they come to the place where the child Jesus lies. These were gentiles who knew nothing of the Jewish hope for a Messiah, but on their journey they find the deeper meaning of what they have seen. The Epiphany season ends with the story of the Transfiguration when Jesus is seen by his disciples as they are in the fog on top of a mountain. Suddenly the light of the glory of God shines through Jesus, and when the fog clears, they begin to look for a deeper meaning of the event. They realize that this Jesus is more than just a teacher, but is a human being filled with the creative energy that began the universe. They see a sacred space opening up to the Divine and they want to set up a memorial to this place. However, Jesus tells them that they must go down the mountain and continue the ministry,  except now their ministry carries a deeper dimension.

If you have noticed, every Sunday of the Epiphany season has had a theme of seeing something anew, which raises questions and calls for re-action and action.

Mountaintop experiences always carry a desire to linger in the place of the numinous, but we are to bring the experience of the numinous to daily life. I meet with a group of friends each week, and we have three questions we answer with each other. They are:
a)         What was your moment closest to Christ this week? In essence, that question is designed to share an experience of the numinous, and since I know that I will be asked this question, I try to keep my eyes open all the time.
b)         What did you study this week? This question is designed to get us to use our brains to study and to see a deeper dimension to what we have experienced.
c)                   What has been your action? This question is to keep us from staying on mountaintops and get to the living out of our numinous experience to benefit the world in which we live.

In essence, every week we go through the Epiphany exercise of being open to seeing the glory of God shine through Christ in this world, we try to figure out what that experience means, and then we take it into everyday life. We use our senses to touch, smell, and see the experience of God alive in this world, we use our minds to better understand, and we use our hands to put ourselves into Christ's work in the world.

 Looking toward the gate off Salah Ed-Din into the compound of the Diocese of Jerusalem, St. George's College and the Anglican Cathedral of St George  borrowed from 
  myjourney-algodon.blogspot. 
Twenty one years ago around this time of the year during Lent, Pat and I went to St. George’s College in Jerusalem to study a course called “The Palestine of Jesus.” We read books in preparation for each class, and every night we would have a lecture about what we would experience the next day, with an emphasis on what to look for. We would have the experience the next day and, when we got back to our dormitory, we would share what we had learned and get ready for the next day’s activities.

One day we went to Mount Tabor that tradition suggests was the Mountain of the Transfiguration. The road was crooked, and when we got to the end of it, we had a climb to the top of the mountain, and there, a couple thousand feet down, lay the Valley of Jezreel which opened up to show a major trade route full of history. In my imagination I was able to visualize the story from the Book of Judges in the 11th century BC with Barak and Deborah looking down on the armies and chariots of Sissera and planning the trap they were going to spring and defeat his army in order to set the people free from domination by the Canaanites. I saw the armies of the Pharaoh Neccho II of Egypt in the 7th Century BC marching up to challenge the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar for control of the Middle East. Neccho's defeat sealed the fate of Jerusalem which was captured by the Babylonians and taken into exile. I saw the Roman armies of Octavian moving down to destroy Antony and Cleopatra in the 1st Century BC. I saw Jesus in the 1st Century AD look down on this valley of violence and show the energy of God's love shining through him. There is a Franciscan Monastery there at the site and Francis tried to hold on to Jesus' message of love and peace. Yet, for the last twenty centuries, the Valley which had been the site of the numinous has seen continuous warfare.  Over the centuries, people have set up up memorials but somehow we have never gotten around to seeing the deeper truth that God's love and peace is meant to be shared with the people down in the valley in everyday life.

Franciscan Monastery on top of Mt. Tabor   photo taken by Shalom Holy  Tours
when the fog come in on Mount Tabor looking over Jezreel Valley - - photo from feuchtblog.net
As we were standing there, the fog came in across the coastal plain off the Mediterranean and we were unable to see the valley or the mountain itself, which forced us to look deeper into ourselves and reflect on what the Transfiguration means. The Mount of the Transfiguration is not just in Israel but in every hill, valley, molehill, and beach all over the world, and it is not just that one time 21 centuries ago when Jesus was transfigured so that we might see the God in him shining through; I think that if we are to follow Jesus, then we are to allow the love and peace of God to shine through us. If we can just slow down in the fog of our lives, we can hear Christ asking us to allow God's love and peace to shine through us, change us and the world, and go down into the valley of everyday life.

Mountain Top Epiphanies
Looking, but not seeing,
yet with new light being
as we now so apprehend
a once overlooked friend.
Discovering on the climb
which is here all the time
bringing us all new lease
of Divine's loving peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment