Thursday, April 7, 2016

Opening th Eyes of Faith



A Reflection for 3rd Sunday of Easter                            All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, NC  April 10, 2016                                                                     Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Acts 9:1-20                  Revelation 5:11-14                   John 21:1-19                Psalm 30
Opening The Eyes Of Faith
You know about movies and television shows that have ratings and warnings about content? Let me warn you know that this reflection is rated “J” for containing multiple quotes and references to Carl Gustav Jung. Jung was a contemporary and colleague of Sigmund Freud, but who differed significantly from him about the nature of the unconscious and the importance of a spiritual reality. Freud was interested in people getting rid of neurosis, which meant exposing the preconscious determinates of behavior. He considered most of the unconscious as junk and clutter to be gotten rid of. Jung was interested in people living into wholeness of mind and soul by bringing the deep material of the unconscious to light and claiming it and using it to grow. 

I started off as a Freudian to understand how humans act, but as I grew deeper in faith, I started to depend more on Jung, and the work that I have done on dream work is deeply Jungian. Jung saw dreams as a way that the Divine, the ground of our Being, the Collective Unconscious, who for convenience we call God, speaks to us in symbolic form. 

When I look at the stories in scripture, I look at them as if they are like a dream given to me, and I look at how the symbolic actions speak to me here and now. I am not really interested in having a newspaper account of the events, but I am interested in what God might be saying to us through these stories. I look at these visions/stories/dreams as if they are gifts from God for me. 

First of all, let’s take a look at the Collect for this Sunday. The word Collect comes from the early church practice of collecting the intercessions and petitions for prayers of the people in the congregation. Later they became regularized to be a collection of the thoughts and themes in the lessons for that Sunday. Sometimes the Collect is referred to as the “Prayer For the Day” as a way of avoiding the use of “churchy” words.  One of the themes for the 3rd Sunday in Easter is exploring how we know and connect with this Risen Christ who is still meeting us in scripture and in life. 

The Collect for this Day, the third Sunday of Easter, has a petition:Open the eyes of our faith, that we may behold him in all his redeeming work”.  We see the Risen Christ with eyes of faith, meaning that we look deeper than the surface. Meeting with the Risen Christ is a quest for the “attainment of wholeness requiring one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises.” 

Let me give you an example of looking with the eyes of faith. I wake up early in the morning and walk my dog before I do my work out. It’s a slow walk and I get a chance to look at the moon and the stars. Now I know through my rational mind that the moon is a lifeless satellite in orbit around the earth, kept in that orbit by the gravitation pull of the earth during an approximately 28 day cycle. Living on the Beach, I know that the tides are affected by that cycle and that cycle has mental and physical effects on human beings as well. But with the eyes of faith, I see the moon as a beautiful gift from a loving God.  I know that I cannot prove this vision by any rational argument to take the place of the scientific explanation, but I choose to take it as true at a deeper dimension because it helps form the basis of how I live my life. It gives meaning to how I spend my time, my energy, my money. Without the eyes of faith, what I do could be seen as ridiculous - and it would be.


Looking with the eyes of faith has to be an experience done by every person instead of just relying on some sort of passed-on dogma to spare the effort. As Jung says:
“A dogma is always the result and fruit of many minds and many centuries, purified of all the oddities, shortcomings, and flaws of individual experience. But for all that, the individual experience, by its very poverty, is immediate life, the warm red blood pulsating today. It is more convincing to a seeker after truth than the best tradition.”
The stories in these lessons for today are about what people saw with eyes of faith. In the Revelation from John passage for today, he shares how his eyes of faith interpreted his dream. I look at this vision as if it was a gift from God for me. Am I open enough before the Divine that I see with the eyes of faith, to sing my song with a full voice, and live fully into my ministry? 

Almost a half century ago I was acting in an Outdoor Drama in a cast of about sixty people. They hired me for my acting ability, but I was too young and immature to understand that singing fully was not the same as singing loudly. To sing fully is to give up control over the song and make a disciplined commitment to join with others in something greater than oneself. Therefore, in my dreams, to sing with a full voice is a symbol of making a commitment. Jung, in his Psychology and Religion, wrote: “The attainment of wholeness requires one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises.”

In the lesson from the Book of Acts, Saul of Tarsus, wanting to please the Dogma of the religion of his youth, sees the followers of the Christ as heretics and tries to destroy them. At the core of his faith is a vision that God is loving, but his following of Dogma makes him respond in acts of hatred as he tries to purify his vision to fit with the Dogma. This internal conflict causes a break- down, and he loses his ability to see. If I am Paul in this vision/story/dream, then what part of me keeps me seeing what is poisoning my faith and life? Is it my desire to be the one who is so sure of the answers? Again to quote from Jung:
“If you carefully sterilize everything that you do, you make an extract of the impurity and leave it at the bottom, and once the water of life is poisoned, it doesn't need much to make everything wrong.”
In my dream, that part of me of which Ananias, a follower of the Christ, is a symbol, who hears about this Saul coming to town, is relieved that Saul is afflicted with blindness. But with the eyes of faith, he sees that Saul, his enemy is beloved of God, and Ananias hears Jesus call to him to minister to his enemy with love. Ananias has found meaning in his life with the Risen Christ and, to be true to this life, he has to follow it. It is the quest for “attainment of wholeness requiring one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises.” If this were my dream/vision/ story, then what fear am I called to face in order to authentically love? Again as Jung says:
“Let us assume, to love life, but if one loves life then surely something should come from it. You see, life wants to be real; if you love life you want to live really, not as a mere promise hovering above things. Life inevitably leads down into reality. Life is of the nature of water: it always seeks the deepest place, which is always below in the darkness and heaviness of the earth.”
In the Gospel lesson, the life that the disciples were leading led them to get their hands dirty following the Risen Lord. They tried to go back to fishing as a way to escape, and they found that their life in this Christ came into their daily reality, interrupting a fishing trip with the presence of the meaning of their life, Christ himself. They saw with the eyes of faith. If this were my dream/story/vision, what is it that gets in my way so that I become too busy to see with the eyes of faith?

In this church I see people on a regular basis metaphorically singing Christ’s song with a full voice. Last week we had as our guests a number of homeless people through the Room in the Inn program, and this congregation saw it not just as a “Good Deed”, but saw it through the eyes of faith as a means of connection with the Risen Lord. We sang fully God’s song of welcome in service to our neighbors - “no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises”.

 Two weeks ago we had a memorial service here, and people came to give their best. This was Easter Week and people had their own lives to lead, but they committed their energy to help this family, for they saw things with the eyes of faith. We had the Hospitality Committee empty themselves out to minister to this family - for them there was “no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises”.  With their full voices, they sang God’s song. The tables were groaning with food, but more importantly, with God’s love.

Steve Blackstock came and played here on his vacation. He has a full-time job as a principal of a school, so he is never really away from that responsibility, but this week was planned to be with his family. Yet he saw this through the eyes of faith and came to symbolically sing with full voice of his talents to minister to help this family. Of course he was paid, but it is never what the gift is worth. His quest is for “attainment of wholeness requiring one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do”. He does not fake his way through; “there are no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises.”
The plan that Steve has presented for the Organ enrichment fund for bringing the instrument up to the level that is required to give the instrument’s best in worship of God is one “in attainment of wholeness requiring one to stake one's whole being”. The Organ’s quality is not in the volume it makes but in the fullness of its voice of worship. “Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises.” The extraordinary and encouraging amounts pledged for over a two year period is over a $140 thousand,  and the amount paid so far, over $60,000.00 from 47 different people is not a result of fund-raising, but the fact that pledgers saw the program with the eyes of faith and have chosen to sing with a full voice. The whole plan will need another $30,000 over the next two years. I am hoping that more people will have allow their eyes to be opened and join with the organ to sing with a full voice. 

I see Steve do this with the choir, pushing them not for performance - performance is the easy way to satisfy one’s own ego - he pushes them to see what they do in singing through the eyes of faith as the hard dedication of worship, to sing, not loud, but with a full voice. “Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises.”

What are these dreams/stories/visions telling you to see with the eyes of faith?

Opening The Eyes of Faith (Poem)
Remembering in a cast of sixty roles
marching in costume in triumph song,
I sang loud, not paying attention long.
Stand out! Call attention, to my goals!
Refusing to empty my ego is so wrong
resisting being part of a larger throng.
Even now tempted in or out of stoles
braying overpower nature’s birdsong.
Faiths eyes know songs to God belong.
Ceding to the divine will,  true controls,
claims. as our own, our deepest souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment