Thursday, September 15, 2016

Rich Man’s Manager (Poem for September18, 2016)

Rich Man’s Manager (Poem for September18, 2016)
My sins outweigh my virtues.
          You name it I’ve done it.
From Adam’s going along with something and then when caught try
           blaming it on the bad influence of companion munchers.
On to Aaron’s sin of wanting to please people abetting idol worship;
           shrinking God down to bite sized pieces.
All the way alphabetically to liking the ideas of Zoroastrianism’s
            seeing vultures in Towers of Silence as worthy as worms.
But I have figured it all out: I will try to out forgive God

Every sin I embrace I will forgive in another’s life.

I’ll be a promiscuous forgiver in the same way that
               I have been a gourmand of all the sins on the banquet.
Even those which have not yet slothfully crossed my mind
              I’ll admirably whistle and say Okey Dokey!
I’ll start with me and no longer beat myself up for not being God
              giving me some slack I have not deserved.
Then I’ll start with those closest to me who have hurt
               returning cheeks like a windmill
Then to enemies past and present from length of histories to width
               of geography, from heights of heaven to depths of hells.
In all my orisons I will work on amnesia of sins so that at the last
              there will be no accomplice witnesses, only harrowed hells.

It might be impossible but at least it sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment