Saturday, February 10, 2018

Transfigurations


A Reflection for Last Sunday of Epiphany (Quinquagesima) All Saints’, Southern Shores, NC
February 11, 2018 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector

Transfigurations

In today’s Gospel lesson Jesus and his disciples have a vision. Visions are those things that we tend to be skeptical about because they are outside of our usual scientific rational mind where things are real or they are not real; there is either an objective reality in which we place our trust or there is a subjective feeling which cannot really be trusted - end of story. When I was a therapist, if someone came in having a vision, I would make the assumption that they were having a break with reality, either caused by stress or by some organic problem. 
 
Now, decades later, I know visions are indeed breaks from reality - our puny concept of reality, when we can see that, not only are some people crazy, but our whole concept of reality is crazy, the world is crazy. Jesus came to point out our crazy tendencies in how we see people divided by class, caste, race, enemies, and kin and about in who or what do we place our trust. In the name of God, people are willing to kill images of God or allow them to suffer because they don’t have enough resources even though there are more than enough to go around if we would only share, where people are treated as objects of plunder rather than subjects of love, where wealth is worshipped and truth is debased. This is crazy but it seems to pass as normal.

Many cultures used to have organized into their culture the idea of a vision quest, where a young man or woman would be pushed to break with what was normal in order to see what is the deeper reality. Now we just spend time hoping our children will adjust and prosper in this world’s insanity where one’s worth is determined by our being in control and by the amount of possessions we have accumulated and by selling ourselves out for the approval of others. 
 
Challenging our concepts of reality is what prophets do. They are see-ers, seers, people who see differently, seeing what God is doing. They tend to speak using mythopoetic language which explodes our narrow view of creation, where God is up there, somewhere far away, and we are safe down here away from divine pesky interference. Elijah and Elisha in the Hebrew Testament lesson from 2nd Kings have been struggling against the corrupt governments of Israel and Judah that want to act as if God is on vacation and out of communication range and people are thought of as just so much prey at the mercy of the predators in power. Elijah is coming to the end of his time on earth and everybody knows it. Elisha in the vision sees that Elijah’s death is not just the end of his narrow earthly life, but a continuation of his life in God’s reality. They both have a vision about the flaming chariot carrying Elijah into uninterrupted union with God; this is the deeper reality using mythopoetic language.

Paul is writing to the Church in Corinth warning them of the puny gods of this world which try to blind people to the light of Christ. He is saying that the world is crazy but we need to break the so-called reality to see deeper and see the Christ, the image of God, Jesus who was once dead but is in union with the Christ that lives in our very being. Paul himself had visions where he saw the Risen Christ blinding him to the so-called real world in which Paul had placed his trust in order for Paul to see with new eyes the deeper reality.
The Transfiguration story in Mark’s Gospel is also a vision of how Peter, James, and John are able to see the union of this Jesus, who they knew as an ordinary human being, with the fullness of God and of the other see-ers, Moses and Elijah. If we stop the story there, what we end up with is that Jesus was an exception to the rule of God and humans, but the Gospel tries to tell us that Jesus is not an exception but the rule of the deeper reality that all of us are called to be transfigured by having God’s light, the Christ light shine through us. The reality of what happens to Jesus in mythopoetic language is what those of us who claim to follow Jesus will be called to experience in everyday life and not just in church.

Many of my moments closest to Christ happen away from the service times. Let me stop myself with a caution and say that I find the service times helpful to get me ready to want to have moments close to Christ in the larger world. Church is like the dress rehearsal for the performance of the rest of the week.

Here on the Outer Banks I find those moments when I am walking on the beach feeling the quiver of the sand as the waves come in, reminding me that there is a power greater than myself. When I feel that in my feet, I am more aware of the majesty of creation. In my time away from religion when the Priest would say, “The Lord be with you” I would be thinking ,“Not in this place!” I would find the Christ without the Episcopal Church in things like Joan Sutherland singing the first act, first scene aria from Bellini’s Norma , where she follows the Druid Priests in Ancient Gaul who are praying in the Sacred Woods for strength to destroy the Roman Invaders, and she alone sings Casta Diva, Chaste Goddess, the Spirit of the Moon, who she asks to shine over these ancient plants and “spargi in terra quella pace” Scatter peace across the earth. For a good version see: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK2LwLyZAlc] 
 
It is Bel Canto singing at its best with trills and runs lifted heavenward. I still pull it up on YouTube since I wore my vinyl record out playing it. When I hear it I am reminded of my faith to scatter peace over every path I take.

In all three of the Synoptic Gospels, Matthew, Mark and Luke all lead up to this story with the caution given by Jesus that “If anyone wants to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?” If you make a choice to hold on to all the bankrupt delusions of this world, you will miss what life is really all about.
I have a weekly meeting with some people where we discuss three questions: 1) What was your moment closest to Christ since we last met?, 2) How have you grown closer to Christ through study?, and 3)What was your action in this world to share that reality of Christ’s presence? The three questions are part of the classic Christian Spiritually where 1) you try to get a deeper vision other than the world’s delusions, 2) you open yourself up to learn, and 3) you see yourself as operating in union with Christ in healing the world. Each week as I know those questions will be asked I start making choices for those seven days. 
 
Spirituality is fundamentally about making choices with our free will instead of spouting dogma while just going along with an insane culture - about how I will see, about how I will open my mind, and how I will spend my resources of time, energy and money. I have been attending such meetings on and off since 1977 and I am still working on those three questions. There are times when Christ’s light shines through me, and at times I grab ahold of empty darkness in my fears of missing the shiny objects that look so alluring.
Today make your choices in your own free will to answer those three questions; what were the moments closest to Christ, how did you try to learn more about Christ and how did you unite with Christ to scatter peace over your path on earth.

Transfigurations
Today I’ll make choices in my free will
that I will look for Christ in all of things,
like beach walks or Sutherland singing
Bellini’s Casta Diva with notes that trill.
Beaches don’t have many wooden pews
and Norma is singing to a Druid sprite,
but both are giving all without respite
as a way of guiding us by giving of clues
of that which is important to hold on to
beneath all the smoke and mirrors false
that should be taken with a dose of salts
to see clearly what is life’s treasure true.
Today I seek and trust the deeper reality
so might thy light shining as You in me be.

No comments:

Post a Comment