Saturday, May 25, 2024

Trinity Sunday : "Here Am I, Send Me!"

A Reflection for Trinity Sunday                                    St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Ahoskie, NC

May 26, 2024                                                                Thomas E. Wilson, Guest Celebrant

Here Am I, Send me!”

In the first lesson for today Isaiah in the Southern Kingdom of Judah begins to hear his calling; “In the year that King Uzziah died.” One theory is that the young Isaiah and the old Uzziah were cousins; so it was also an emotional time as a death in the family for Isaiah. When a leader of a nation dies, there is a time of reflection on Uzziah's life as ruler of the nation of Judah. Uzziah came to the throne as co-regent with his father Amaziah when Uzziah was only 16. The reason for this was that Amiziah's father, Joash, was assassinated by his own guards. And Amazish wanted to make sure that if there was another assassination coup attempt, there would be some legitimacy in the son being co-ruler. Uzziah followed the model and ended his reign as co-regent with his son, Jothan.


It was a time of great prosperity for the nation and of military success. But, on the negative side was of the over step of Uzziah's challenge of the role of the Priests of the Temple, and of Uzziah's later decent into Leprosy, which the Priests hinted was God's punishment for messing with the will of the Priests. According to the Law, written by the Priests, the only people who could diagnose Leprosy were Priests. Leprosy for Uzzish meant he was, by law and custom, separated from his family and advisors and moved into a home away from the palace. He was a King in luxury but in name only, while his son, Jothan, made all the decisions. Isaiah hears in his vision that he himself is being called to a spiritual leadership in the Kingdom as Counselor to the King Jothan.


Leaders, no matter how good they are, are all too human. Only three of our presidents Adams, Harrison and Bush were sons or grandsons of previous presidents. I have lived through the deaths of nine United States Presidents, John Kennedy in 1963, Hebert Hoover, in 1964, Dwight Eisenhower in 1969, Harry Truman in 1972, Lyndon Johnson in 1973, Richard Nixon in 1994, Ronald Regan in 2004, Gerald Ford in 2006, and George H. W Bush in 2018. Each of them were all too human, but at the end of the life of a President there is usually a time of reflection on what the past looked like, and what the future has in store for the history to be written. There were reflections on successes achieved and failures suffered. Both of the major candidates for President in this year's election are as old as I am, a senior citizen, so we can count on the fact that the major news outlets already have an assessment penciled in on both of these men. In fact, it is standard practice for pre-need obituaries to be written, periodically updated, and sometimes accidentally published by major news outlets. Pope John Paul II had premature obituaries published in the papers three different times before he actually died.


Forty years ago, after I got out of Seminary, I was first called as an associate Rector at the first church. After two years, I realized I was too arrogant to be anyone's assistant. I had longer tenures at three other churches as a Rector. In these churches I have served, I began with a sense of call where I heard in my mind my response of a visitation to what I convinced myself was God's call; “Here am I send me!” Two of the three churches I had to do massive building programs, which I did not want to do. I wanted to help build souls not buildings. Then, as my tenure ended at each of the three churches, there was usually been a time of reflection as they prepared to called the new Priest about the relief or regret that came to mind about the Wilson years there.


After I reached the mandatory retirement age as a Rector of a Church, I try to listen to hear, not just a ask by the Senior Warden for a fill in at a church for a Sunday, but a semblance of a call from God to Preach or serve. “Here am I, send me!” I have heard several calls to be an Interim at different parishes but accepted only once.


I am at the point in my life now when I still keep listening so that I might respond; “Here am I; send me.” This week I had friends, a married couple that I known for years through participation of a local art series. We would see each other at concerts, events and program and at church from time to time. We would laugh with delight at the programs. There is something about the space between people who are in awe. As I was trying to write this reflection; I got word that he, the husband, had suddenly just died. My first response was that I last seen him a couple weeks ago and he and I laughed together. My second response was to say to God, “Here am I send me!” I left her a note that she was in my heart and I was available to help.


About eleven months ago I learned first hand what it is like to lose the love of my life. It was horrible;

it still is. I am reminded of the story that Abraham Lincoln used to tell when he went through a horrible experience. He said it reminded him of a story related by a man who had been tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail. When asked how he felt that victim replied; “Well if it weren't for the honor of the thing; I would had just as soon walk.”


The note I left was to make sure the door was open for me to be available. Not to be her minister, she already has one. But just to be a friend who loved her husband and her. There is no special training involved; just to be available to walk with her through a rough time. There are no magic words. There is no sublime Priestly wisdom. There is no special incantations. Just the taking the time to say to God; “Here am I; send me!” Then listen and do what you feel called to do without your ego getting in the way.


A suggestion that I would give you is to start off each day with thanksgiving for all that you see in this new day. Then take some time in silence. Is there someone who needs your love? Is there someone who might need some help? Is there a person who needs to be thought of kindly? Then in the silence; remind God that you are here willing to be sent.


In the 16th Century Teresa of Avila entered a Convent and went deep into her soul. She wrote about her journey as a guide and invitation to go deeper into that Interior Castle, which she saw as having seven chambers. I am not suggesting that you immediately buy a copy and read it. But I do suggest you get a copy of a prayer/poem attributed to her, which you can get on line free of charge and spend the next week reading it every day before your silence:

Christ Has No Body

Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

After the silence; be prepared to say; “Here am I; send me!”


Here Am I, Send Me

This big world sure looks like a real mess.

Where people ride rough shod over others,

As I long to keep my head under my covers,

And I am divided on should I curse or bless.

Usually, I want to start with big salty curses,

At my inability to fix it all by the end of day,

When I long that my power is to have it's say,

Justifying that the victor gets to write verses.

Yet, the words keep coming into my soul;

Can you do this act of love for this person.

Who is having a time before it gets worsen?

Don't need to fix it; sharing love is the goal!

All that is needed is they know they deserve,

That full time spent when you chose to serve.









No comments:

Post a Comment