Friday, May 31, 2013

Dream of Paul: return

It is the ending of the dream conference and we are getting ready to leave to go back home. I have these fragments of dreams in the early morning before I awaken.

In my dream I am standing at a ceremony when Paul, my older brother who committed suicide years ago, is walking down the carpet. He is dressed in his Marine Dress Uniform with medals on his chest. I see that he has lost one arm. He looks uncomfortable for he was always uncomfortable being the center of attention. I are trying to fill out light blue forms to send to the government stating that he is really alive and not dead as we suppose.We have a lot of trouble filling out the forms and Paul seems uninterested in filling them out but I am the one who is frantic with frustration..

At a reception later on, we are standing in a room which floor to ceiling glass walls that over looks the thunderous waves of an ocean. We see a rescuer jump into the ocean to save  as struggling child. The child is saved but  the rescuer  drowns.We are saddened but not surprised.

 Next fragment is when I am walking in a procession and I realize that it is the path to the Columbarium in the clearing beside the church. I realize that I am barefoot and can feel the ground under my feet. I also I am aware that I am naked and everyone is clothed for this is the internment of my ashes after the Memorial in the church. We are walking past the  outdoor Labyrinth as I awken.

Preliminary thoughts:
---The blue forms that we are trying to fill out come from the movie Black Orpheus { http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/ }(a French film in Portuguese by Marcel Camus in 1959 set in Rio during Carnival and a retelling of the Orpheus myth which I saw in the 60's and loved). In the movie Orpheus follows missing persons forms blowing tin the breeze as he descends a long circular staircase down into the underworld to reclaim his beloved. I realize that I am in the role of Orpheus to reclaim my brother and try to bring him back to life.
--- The medal are the recognitions of the people whose love Paul touched for our lives are not measured by the stuff we have but the love which we gave away. 
---The arm is missing comes from the Biblical injunction in Matthew's version of the Sermon on the Mount about cutting off the hand if it causes you to stumble.
---The rescuer who dies is me for I am always putting myself as a rescuer and I think that the dream is telling me that we already have a redeemer and I don't need to fill a position that is not vacant. 
---The barefoot walking is a metaphor that there should be nothing between my life as I stand on the earth and the ground of my being and the rescuer shoe costume is not necessary  and in fact will drown or overwhelm me.

My prayer is this dream is sent by the divine dream maker for health and wholeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment