Thursday, May 30, 2013

Reflection on a dream of the Runaway Car



This week I am attending the Haden Institute Summer Dream Conference - Dreams: God’s Forgotten Language at the Kanuga Conference Center in Hendersonville, NC. This is my second Dream Conference I have attended and I find myself ever more drawn to look at dreams as messages from God- or from the Ground of Being to use Tillich’s phrase. I am still a novice at understanding Jung- most of my training about dreams were influenced by Freud and his sense of the Id’s attempts to seduce us into a fuller life. Dreams are attempts to get around the Ego’s defense mechanisms to keep the world in manageable choices but the Jungian perspective is the core of the deeper unconscious is spiritual rather than sexual, while the goal is the same of living a fuller life, within the Jungian view, the Self, or what I like to call, the Christ within us, keeps trying to communicate with us to call us into deeper relationship. The purpose of encountering dreams is to be faithful and to bring more of the unconscious into the conscious. The dreams can be the results of things we ate, or the working out of things that happened during the day, or they could be messages from God  to call us into deeper relationship – not all Spirits are Holy Spirits so discernment is necessary.My first night at the Conference Center I had this dream.

The Runaway Car:
I’m back in school as a Drama Major and in a series of sketches with the help of Ben Affleck. We are trying to create something profound but I the critic in me suspects that it is pretentious.

The performance is to go on at 7:00 but I step out to run a small errand. I drive my car back to the apartment and get out to run inside. The car, my old white Rambler, continues without me and starts to go up and down hills. I run after it.

But then my dog gets hit by another car. There are three scummy characters with Balkan, or Trans Caucasus, accents who help me with the dog. The leader of the three reminds me of a character I saw in a Macedonian movie who was a burned out soldier who has seen and done too much killing. I hold the damaged puppy in my arms and argue with them to help me get my car. 

I realize that they are going to take advantage of me but I go along with them in order to track after my car.
As we drive along I see Mountain lions on the sides of the street which the head of the group says he does not see but I think he is lying.

We go through tunnels and I don’t know if the car is even on this road or going up and down streets. One of the characters, nicknamed the “Shark” is getting sick and throwing up in the back seat.
We get to a bridge area where are stalled cars and I ask people if they have seen my car. I have a conversation with a woman who says she saw my car earlier but that doesn’t work because the car she saw left an half hour before my car left me. Looking at thre time I ralize that there is no way I can get  back to the play in time.

Still holding on to the dog, I rush into the stalled line of traffic at the bridge going through busses and trains to get to the other side of the stalled traffic so I can get a good view of the runaway car. The “Shark” is right behind me.

The bus I am going through  starts up and we start to cross the bridge. The character of the “Shark” is still with me. In panic I pull the cord to stop the bus.

The character of the “Shark” is coming up behind me and I am scared as he come up behind me. The bus is coming to a stop and the space between the “Shark” and I is closing. I am pulling on the cord to stop and
I wake up and sit straight up in bed.

I worked the dream out in group a couple days later, yesterday afternoon, but I had been thinking about it intensely and on yesterday morning I had a fragment of a dream where I was told I was pregnant and I saw that this was a follow up to the earlier disturbing dream. 

I had come to the conference to look at dreams to help me make some decisions on how to deal with a dear friend’s depression and with my own sense of direction of my ministry as I have been at my church which I love for almost 10 years and wonder if I am giving them their money’s worth. At first I thought the dream was a warning of depression with the damaged puppy being my concern for dear friend, the car being myself wandering without direction and the three character being the dark forces of violence and anger within me overwhelming me with depression as a substitution for anxiety about future.

On reflection I think it is about direction in my life and a call to go deeper into dream worlds. The three scummy character might be the Trinity, for Death is always a symbol of Transformation and in the collective unconsciousness ancient religions the predator is usually a metaphor of the God, e.g. Lion, Bear, Bull, and in the South Seas the Metaphor is the Shark.
Still working on it !

No comments:

Post a Comment