Wednesday, November 11, 2015

One More Call to Help Poem for 11-8-15



Since we already have a speaker for this day I decided not to write a full reflection  The Hebrew Testament lesson was from 1 Kings 17:8-16 - where Elijah is able to provide food for the Widow of Zarephath and her son. The Psalm was Psalm 127, usually attributed to Solomon (Hebrew- Shlomo) about how one is blessed with children. The Gospel reading was Mark 12:38-44  where Jesus reflects on the Widow’s mite. The speaker was talking about Bread for the World which deals with Children Hunger Issues. We just had ended our formal stewardship campaign and I thought maybe our people were getting anxious about being hit for one more thing. Plus I was being stretched thin due to a very heavy Pastoral load that week.

One More Call To Help (Poem for 11-8-15)
The widow steps forward; two mites are thrust,
all she has, declaring a faith in future unknown.
My money sweats in my hand as I debate trust
in how much I can give and still a profit shown.
Shlomo, the Psalmist for today, singing children
providing for in days when power or health fail.
Love child; but do not confuse her with heaven,
fearing I will not earn her love when I am frail.
Yet, I am asked to give for children of others,
whom I do not know and still yet help to show
love for families of poorer fathers and mothers.
“But listen who will help me?”, I want to crow.
My hand sweats. A still voice whispers to say
“Please listen to echoes of times you did pray!”

No comments:

Post a Comment