Friday, November 11, 2016

Warren Cameron Judge III Reflection for November 13, 2016



A Reflection for a Celebration of the Life and Ministry of Warren Cameron Judge III
November 13, 2016                                        Thomas E. Wilson

I want to start off by thanking St. Andrew’s Church for joining with All Saints’ to celebrate Warren’s life. St Andrew’s was the church to which Warren and Tess belonged before they came  to join the new mission first envisioned by as an act of faithful generosity by St. Andrew’s Parish and an act of courage by those who entered into the early life of that mission. They met in living rooms and elementary school cafeterias until they built the building - which is still too small to accommodate all the people we expected for Warren’s service.

I would like to also thank Gail Sonnesso of the GEM Adult Care program who had planned a service here at this particular time, but graciously postponed that service because, as she said, “Warren was such a supporter and had attended each yearly service since the beginning that the people who usually come would have wanted to pay respect to his faithfulness.” Warren had a lot of friends in this county.

I first met Warren when I came to the Outer Banks for an interview for the position of Rector of All Saints’ more than 13 years ago. I had driven in from Georgia and the church put me up at a hotel at which they apparently had “an arrangement”. There was this huge man behind the desk who welcomed me just as if I was an old friend. I did not know he was one of the owners and he didn’t tell me he was a member of the church. He did not try to interview me, or pass judgment, or push an agenda; he just welcomed me as if he believed what Jesus had said when he said those who welcomed followers of Christ welcomed Jesus. Now we could say that welcoming was part of his job in the hospitality business, and that is fair. Yet, welcoming was part of his very soul. It was a spiritual gift that he brought into play in the material world, which is what we are called to do with all of our gifts. Warren did not live into his last name, for he did not judge others because he knew that God’s judgment is always tempered with welcoming Grace. Welcome, that is what Jesus said. That is what Warren, in following Christ, did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

Jesus never asked us to worship him; he told us to follow him. That is what Jesus said. That is what Warren did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

Jesus said to love your enemy. Jesus gathered his followers from all sorts and conditions of people. Scripture tells us that Jesus called Matthew the tax collector, who was working for the occupying enemy, and he called Simon the Zealot who was a warrior against the Romans - two people who had nothing but hatred for each other and yet Jesus bound them together to work for a common goal. One of things that Warren did was to keep saying that he didn’t care who got the credit as long as the job got done. I remember when Warren’s party lost the election for control of the County Commission and Warren was then a minority member. Now, if he were not Warren, he would have been instrumental in trying to block any attempts by the other party in order to make them look bad. But he was Warren, and even when he would lose a vote, he would work to implement the program as legislated. He had not signed on to be right, but to help govern. He understood that Public Service was not about who has the biggest ego, but about the public being served so that this Dare County could live into John White’s words of 1587, that this is the “goodliest land under the cope of heaven.”  Warren could be counted on to serve. Jesus said, “Let your yes be “Yes” and your no be “No”; anything else comes from the evil one.” That is what Jesus said. That is what Warren, in following Christ, did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

Jesus said, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free.” That is what Jesus said, and when Warren followed Jesus, that is what he did. If you had a program that would help people, you could count on Warren being there to work with you. He did that at our church, he did that in our community tirelessly. I used to joke with him that I could count on two pictures of Warren in every edition of the local papers because he was there to lend his strength and support to any cause that made peoples’ lives better.  The prophet Micah said, “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.” Jesus said “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” This is what Jesus did. This is what Warren, in following Christ, did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

Jesus said; “Let the little children come unto me.” Jesus’ disciples saw children as an interruption to their work, but Jesus held them and blessed them, seeing them as part of his family, as fellow sons and daughters of God. Warren would ask the question “How is what we are doing affecting the children?” Warren was interested in children. He took four kids and made them his own, creating with Tess a family where love was the center. But beyond his family, he worked in the communities in which he served. His children speak of the time when he was a Town Councilman and, spending his own time, money, and energy, headed up the effort to make sure that the children would get uniforms for their Little League teams. Yet, more importantly he was a coach for over 13 years. He was a coach not just so kids could play but he was a coach so that young boys could grow up to be men who respected themselves, respected the community, respected the rules of life, respected their opponents, respected women; he showed them by word and especially example what it means to be a man. He was heavily involved in a community response to youth substance abuse. And when one of his kids got into some trouble, he came before the group, walking humbly with his God, and said, “It can happen in any home; it is not about those people over there somewhere else, but about all of our families.” Jesus asked us to follow him in blessing children. This is what Jesus did. This is what Warren, in following Christ, did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

You may notice that I say “is” about Warren, not “was”. In my theology, God calls each person before we are born for a ministry of making a difference in this world. For those who are serious about their faith, they see their whole lives as ministry to show God’s love, not just in religious institutions, but in and to the family, in and to our neighbors, in and to our community, in and to the nations of the world, in and to our environment, so that God’s will be done on earth as it is in heaven. This is the prayer that Jesus taught us and what he did. This is what Warren, in following Christ, did. But we are also to follow The Christ by giving our lives, even through death - which does not end God’s love - into a resurrection of serving God in the deeper life after we have shuffled off this mortal coil. As we say in our service that life is changed not ended. Life is a Call.  There is a poem written in 1633 by George Herbert entitled “The Call”:
Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.
Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.
Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part:
Such a Heart, as joys in love.

You will notice that all are invited to come to Communion. Neither the Church nor I are the one who invites you to come forward. God’s love invites you, and we are not to stand in the way of a foretaste of being in full communion with God as we live in this world and the next. Who may come? All may, some should, none must. The ushers will come to the end of each row and invite you to come forward.  If you come forward for communion, there will be a clergyperson up front to give you bread and a layperson to give you wine.  If you do not wish to receive, cross your arms and you will receive a blessing.  Jesus gave bread and wine as a small part of his greater ministry of blessing and called us to follow him to bless others.  Blessing is what Warren did. Blessing is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

Whenever I have communion in my church or in a hospital or living room, my imagination, my heart, and my spirit know that I am not alone with just the bodies in the room. The energy of all those who have gone before is present, and I am aware that they are on the other side of the table, just in another dimension. Fifty years ago my father died, and his love and strength are still with me. We will miss Warren when we are not paying attention, when we get too busy with our own agendas and no longer seeing the spiritual side of this life.  The Love through Warren is with us, for love does not die, but rather, as Herbert notes, it is the love that “killeth death.” That is what Jesus did. This is what Warren did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is. 

You may notice that the family has suggested that instead of flowers you donate to the Mortgage Reduction effort at All Saints. That would be nice. But let me tell you what would be better. Jesus said, “In my Father’s house there is room for all.” Work with your family, friends, neighbors, and especially your enemies to build a better community, a place where families are nourished, love is honored, respect for others is the norm, and all are welcomed, none are judged. That is what Jesus did. This is what Warren did. This is who Warren Cameron Judge III is.

Warren Cameron Judge III
He straightens up from behind the counter
And my God he is big, the biggest is his smile
as he welcomes me and signs me in,
as if this is his own home.
Never being there before, me a stranger
who he treats me as if I belong,
a friend he has not met before.
My paranoia wonders about his agenda,
but welcoming is only thing on the table.
He moves, it seems as if defying gravity,
shoulders lift his body, directing his walk.
Learning over the years of how much those
shoulders carried; children, family, friends
church, county, state, but always with that smile.
I was not aware until he died and then I realized,
when the world seems heavier, that I was one of
those burdens he helps carry with a smile
as he follows one who says, “Come unto me . .  “

No comments:

Post a Comment