Thursday, February 9, 2017

I Want What I Want



Question: What would you be like if you could get whatever you want without considering others?

A Reflection for VI Epiphany                        All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Southern Shores, NC February 12, 2017                                    Thomas E. Wilson, Rector

I Want What I Want
In Matthew’s Gospel for today, Jesus continues his exposition of the Sermon on the Mount, the way to follow God in everyday life, by looking at the subjects of three of the Commandments - murder, adultery and bearing false witness. He redefines these commandments by going to their very roots. He illustrates what James Baldwin will say 20 centuries later: "If I love you I must make you conscious of things you do not see”.  He had seen how the legalists, staying on the literal surface, would proclaim that they had not broken any of the commandments with statements like, “Hey at least I didn’t kill anyone!” Jesus urges them to go deeper to the meaning behind the earlier commandments. These Commandments did not come from the setting up of a legal code of felonies and misdemeanors, but were outward and visible signs of what hardness of heart would lead to, the breaking the Covenant of Love with God and neighbor.

The Hebrew Testament tells of how the community of Moses came up with the idea of creating hundreds of specific rules and prohibitions as a way of building a fence around the Torah, the Ten Commandments. This fence of rules on diet and daily living would keep people aware of the danger of coming too close to breaking the Commandments. The problem was that they spent all of their energy trying to do the right things instead of dealing with the underlying causes that lead to the breaking of the Commandments. If we spend all the time with the rules, we do not allow ourselves to change and, rules or no rules, no change means no change.

Years ago when I was working with addicts and alcoholics, when people relapsed, we would talk about “When did the relapse start?” Did it begin when he got drunk on a bender? Or, did it begin when he ordered the first drink? Or, did it begin when he walked into the bar? Or, did it begin when he took the bus into that part of town? Or, did it begin with the fight he had with his boss? Or, did it begin when he had the disagreement with his girlfriend the night before? Or, did it begin when he stopped going to meetings? Or, did it begin when he stopped finding time to meet with his sponsor? Or, did it begin when he stopped working the daily program of rigorous honesty with himself? Or, did it begin with a resentment that he had the disease and was envious of those who didn’t, and the fear that he would have to deal with this all of his life, the self-centerness of false nostalgia missing the old times and the wanting to grab hold of life without responsibilities? If we wanted to be legalistic, we could have a rule for every step of the way.  Or is it better to say, “I have a problem and the problem is me.”

The breaking of the Commandments begins not with outside behavior but with what goes on inside a person. Most of the breaking comes from things like resentment, fear, envy, self-centeredness, and callousness toward others. Again to quote from James Baldwin: "The only way to be really despicable is to be contemptuous of other people's pain." Jesus was not interested in being a policeman of morals, but in the transformation of the hearts of the people. God’s peace is not brought into being by the enforcement of rules but about changed lives. Salvation is not a reward for outward good behavior, but salvation is the process of being set free from an old way of looking at the world that God has created. The old way is to look at all of the world and see oneself as the center of the universe, to use it for one’s own ego gratification, where it is the Supreme Judge of worth and where love is never given away but earned as part of a bargain.

Freedom begins each new day when we remind ourselves that we were placed on this earth to love by doing justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with our God. To walk humbly is to recognize that each day is a gift given by a gracious God. When I wake up every morning and walk my dog, I breathe in the clear salt air which I cannot produce - each breath that fills my lungs is a gift. I see the stars in pre-dawn sky, way beyond my grasp, so I am not tempted to own them and use them for my own purposes, for they are doorways to contemplation of the infinite nature of God’s creation. Each breath is a prayer of thanksgiving.

I think of the people God has placed in my heart and as I visualize them, I want what is best for them, asking God to surround them with loving care and how I might be part of that loving care. When I visualize them, I can give thanks for them, and while I might admire them, I think of them as I do with the stars - as gifts that I do not need to try to grasp and use for my own purposes. For those whom I see as less than a joyful gift, I ask God for strength to see them as fellow children of the one God and ask for wisdom to find a way to co-exist with them for the limited them that we share the same planet without losing my own integrity and without trying to control them for my own purposes.

When we return from the walk, the dog rushes in to a home where there is love, which he returns so easily; it is a gift. I leave to do my exercises for I have been given a gift of my body and it needs maintenance. I don’t enjoy the exercise, but it is like brushing my teeth - part of the rent I pay for its upkeep while I am on earth. I meet people who occupy the same space, and I am aware that we are all sharing this time and space and that God is there in the space between us as we care for our gifts of bodies.  At work or at play God is here giving me the strength to continue. I wash off my body as part of an awareness that I am beginning a new day, a new gift over which I have limited control, and I begin a prayer that asks God for serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can change, and the wisdom to know the difference, just for today.  I always find several times throughout the day to use that prayer. When the day ends, I stop and give thanks for the opportunities I had to love and also ask for forgiveness for the times I fell short - those times when I did not catch the undertones of resentment, fear, envy, callousness and self-centeredness in myself. I take comfort that there is a new day coming after I put this one behind me, and I am set free from the past and open for the present, to continue the work to change into I was created to be.


I Want What I Want
Stars shine before the envious east sun nudges.
Light waves shimmer beauty into the darkness
always, tantalizing beyond my highest grasp.
What would I do if I grabbed it like falling star;
putting it in my pocket, saving it for rainy day
with a contempt for those who want to share?
Would I lie to myself saying deserve to hoard
since the world seemed to treat me ill this day?
What do I care if balances of universes sway;
What do I care if others hurt or even perish?
What do I care as long as I get what I want?
If I could grab it, then I wouldn’t need a God,
for I would be one with having power over
limits of life, death, other people, time, space,
so that no one would take my name in vain,
I would be worshipped and only ration love
to those very few I think really deserve it.
But let’s see what else is in my grasping?

No comments:

Post a Comment