Thursday, October 5, 2017

Consultation of Sinai October 8, 2017



I am not Preaching at All Saints this week- I will be leading an educational event for Deacons on how to Preach and this is the reflection that will give on Sunday morning.


A Reflection on the Occasion of a Preaching Workshop         October 8, 2017
Trinity Conference Center 
Thomas E. Wilson

Consultation of Sinai

This has been an interesting week, starting last Sunday night with the 

Blessing and Dedication of the renovated organ, the Quimby Opus 74, at 

Evensong. Oh, the sounds from that organ leading and blending with the 

singing of the choir and of the congregation of members and visitors. It was 

as if we were participating in God’s song of the soul. I walked away that 

evening and went home swimming in the music as it resonated with the 

song in my soul. How seldom do we allow ourselves to be still enough to 

hear and sing our divine soul song? There is an invitation in Act 5 of The 

Merchant of Venice where Shakespeare has Lorenzo invite Jessica to be 

still   in the moonlight to hear the music of the heavens:

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
  
Here will we sit and let the sounds of music

Creep in our ears. Soft stillness and the night

Become the touches of sweet harmony.

 Sit, Jessica. Look how the floor of heaven

Is thick inlaid with patens of bright gold.

There’s not the smallest orb which thou behold’st

 But in his motion like an angel sings,

Still choiring to the young-eyed cherubins.


Such harmony is in immortal souls,

But whilst this muddy vesture of decay

Doth grossly close it in, we cannot hear it.”

Last Sunday, there were so many moments when I was able to escape the 

tyranny of my schedules and the ego of this “muddy vesture of decay” of 

my body and limited life - when I was able to hear the harmony of my 

immortal soul.

There is an ancient Hebrew tradition of Interpretation of Scripture done by 

the Rabbis, called Midrash, which has four levels - PaRDeS, named for the 

first letter of each level: the Peshat or the plain level, the Remez or the deep 

meaning, the Derash or the seeking the connections level, and the Sod or 

the mystery level, the Holy mystery not to be solved but lived into. Most 

people opt to stay on the surface, but going deeper into scripture is a 

spiritual journey and not to be taken literally. 
 

In the Hebrew Testament story for today, Moses goes to the darkness of 

Mount Sinai to touch the “floor of heaven” and to hear the soul song of 

God. In my mind as I enter into this foundation story of the children of 

Israel’s identity, I picture God’s arms surrounding Moses as God sings the 

song of the Ten Words, the meaning of life for all those who know that they 

are made in the image of God. The Hebrew Scripture does not call them 

“Commandments” but “Words”. In my imagination these were Words of 

Love. I have tried to look at these 10 words like the Rabbi Jesus did, who 

knew the song of God in his soul, when he asked which Commandment was

the most important, and he entered into Midrash saying: “The first 

Commandment is this that you shall love the LORD, your God, with all 

your heart and all your mind and all your soul and the second is like unto it, 

Thou shalt love your neighbor as yourself. On these two Words hang all the 

Law and the Prophets”

In my journey, I go past the literal plain text and descend to the Remez level. 

I hear God singing the 10 words and I re-imagine their core:
1) I am the One, who creates you in my own image,
2) You’ll find strength loving into that living image,
3) when our spirits are knitted together into one,
4) so every moment becomes Holy Day as we unite.
5) Parenting’s hard, they need love and forgiveness.
6) Your life and lives of others are gifts treasured by us
7) Love is my space between every relationship; join us
8) as we together respect what neighbors love and have.
9) I am in and under every breath, in each word uttered
10) and gift given for you to make it through each day.

I imagine God planting this God song into Moses’ soul, and he went down to sing that song to his people at the foot of the mountain, for in his Derash, he made the connections with these words and the vision of a new kind of society based on God’s love, inviting them to enter in Sod, the mystery of God’s song. But once he got down there he saw that the people had wandered far away from listening to God’s song and started to compose songs of their own egos. He smashed the tablets containing the 10 words on to the ground.

In my imagination the leaders of the religious establishment, the people in charge of the Organized Religion, the Mass, the “Massmen”, did not like the sound of God’s song and decided to harden God’s heart and turn love into laws of “should” and “ought” and consulted with Moses to draft it into legalese. I wrote a poem of that imaginary conference:
Hey God, as your Massman looks over the tablets,
got to tell you your dreams need more punch,
screams for hard rules, laws to nail down habits,
or grace will seem like invitation to a free lunch.
Scare people a bit with a snarl of frayed nerves
they’ll walk softly around you, making your day
I mean, doesn’t fearful worship do what serves,
make ‘em think twice before they begin to pray.
No damn good people’ll live down to base level.
You’ll help ‘em by working up a good scare or two
Remind them who’s boss before turn over to devil,
with gory tales, divine revenge and turns of screw.
Theological focus groups says you got to be tough
If want to sell’em on all the heavenly reward stuff.

I told you what it was like on Sunday evening to hear God’s song in my soul. Then there was Monday morning, when I began to hear of the slaughter in Las Vegas and I wondered where God’s song was in the middle of the souls of the victims and of the murdered. I could hear God’s song in the lives of the first responders who rushed into danger to help strangers. I heard God’s song in the prayers of the people witnessing these events.

I think one of the things that happens to people is that they no longer hear God’s soul song of love. I went inside myself and found out how easy it is to stop listening. For the next several days as I got busier and busier, I found myself getting annoyed, especially over the fact that every day, sometimes several times each day, I would drive back to the office and there were people parking in the space that was clearly marked “Clergy Parking”. Possible explanations ranged from an unforeseen influx of ordained clergy of unknown faiths, or an inexplicable attack of mass illiteracy where people lost the ability to read, or a paranoid thought of a concerted attack on my “WMP”, White Male Privilege. Shutting off the vibrations of God’s soul song, hardening my heart by paying attention to my bruised ego, I entertained fantasies of response. Should I put a nasty note on the trespassing car to shame them? Or should I park my car right behind them, blocking them in to show my power? Or should I go into the kitchen to get a knife to slash the tires to make them fearful of my displeasure? Or should I get a gun and shoot up the sinner’s car? Or should I not stop, as the shooter in Las Vegas on Sunday night did not, and get 20 some guns and vent my rage on as many people as who did not pay me enough worth and worship me.

The way out of this madness was to be still and listen again to God’s loving song. Commandments without love have no power to change behavior. There is a movement by some to post copies of the Ten Commandments on courthouse walls, but then they just become a way of ascribing Divine Sanction as an attempt to keep societal control. Do the word association -Law and Order, Crime and Punishment. Without love there is no justice, and all we do is use law to protect the status quo of the powerful.

This weekend we have been talking about Preaching. The purpose of Preaching is not to impress them with what you know, or straighten people out, or persuade them to think like as we do, or to make them do what you want them to do, or to follow the correct procedure, or obey the Commandments, or to shame sinners, or to threaten backsliders. But rather it is to invite them to join you in a deeper life of love, listening to God’s love song in their souls so they can remember who, and in whose image, they are. As Paul reminds us in his first Letter to the Corinthians, “If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment