Friday, October 20, 2017

Seeing God's Back Poem for 22 October



On 22 October our summer seminarian is back for the service in which we will have a baptism. He will preach. If I were preaching I would talk about the lesson about Moses wanting to see God face to face but sometimes we can only see God as God moves away. This is the poem that came to me when I reflected on this lesson and on a pastoral session.


Seeing God’s Back
Moses asks to see God’s glory face to face.
But a voice said, “No, you can’t handle it,
rather let you see  full when a scene is quit
and action done, leaving the candle of grace.

The young man came in, a boy of once ago
that I lifted high in the air, but now his feet
stray in no-man’s land, one step from street
living while he  wrestles with an ancient foe.

We talk, I listen, scriptures is once again read
of Jesus wrestling with those selfsame doubts
of light or dark and which to follow its shouts
to walk its path through this life until we’re dead.

God’s breath was shed by our breaths in prayer,
leaves blessings for walking on holy ground fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment