Thursday, July 2, 2020

Peace of God Be With My Enemy, Daily Reflection


Peace of God Be With My Enemy           Daily Reflection                 June 2, 2020

In today's reflection, I am led to continue using the lessons from the Lectionary for the 4th of July, from the Book of Hebrews: “If they had been thinking of the land that they had left behind, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one”.

Those of you who have heard me prattle on over the years, know that my definition of heaven is not a place above the sky where you go after you die as a reward for a holy life. For me the word “Heaven” is a circumlocution for being in the presence of God, where time and space are irrelevant. Therefore, in this Wilsonian definition, Heaven is not a future fantasy theme park where we are hoping to be admitted, but an ever present time and space of the deeper reality. To me, the meaning of the commandment of condemning the taking of the LORD's name in vain is not about cussing, but about referring to God in the third person as if God had left the room. God is here in us, in creation and in the space between us. This means to me, that I have to practice seeing God in the person with whom I disagree, or who is my enemy.

There is a Hindu greeting, “namaste” which comes three different sounds; na = not, mas = me, te = thee. It means “I am open to you”, “this is not about me”, “the God in me greets the God in you”. In the Episcopal Church, our version is in the exchange of signs of the Shalom of God, the Peace of the LORD with members of the congregation, which we do before receiving communion. If you have trouble sleeping and/or want to know more about that, I wrote a long scholarly article on that practice, “A Pax On Both Your Houses”, for the Sewanee Theological Review when I was in Seminary 37 years ago, which is probably mouldering on the dusty back racks of some Theological School Libraries.

Today's newspaper headlines have to do with the naming of the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis. Stennis was the longtime chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee and was heavily involved in appropriations for our military. The naming of the Carrier was in honor of his support over the years of the Navy. Stennis was also a through going racist.When black sailors whose parents and grandparents Stennis fought against having their voting rights, or going to equal schools, or having representation on juries, or advancement in the military, or living in the place of their choice, or being able to make a living above poverty, or having due process in court, or having a fair trial; when the sailors salute the ship they are also saluting the man whose name it carries. It would be like saying namaste, the Shalom of God, the Peace of the LORD to him. If I were black, the words would choke in my throat and I would need a power greater than myself to do it.

My own private politics have been extreme left wing, and I have had to keep them out of my statements as a Priest in the Episcopal Church. But I am retired now. I went to seminary right after Ronald Wilson Regan was elected President and it was difficult for me to lead prayers when we prayed for the leaders of our nation. I disagreed with almost every thing he did, but I prayed for him, sometimes gritting my teeth. One thing that helped was saying his full name, his middle name is the same as my last name; so we might be cousins, maybe 47th cousins, eight times removed, but we were connected in my mind. I have a hard time with our current president; but prayers with his name, the namaste, the Shalom of God, the Peace of the LORD, are offered for him, sometimes with gritted teeth, but offered because we are all connected. I do not choose my God, or my neighbor; rather God's Peace is in the space between us if we choose to give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment