Monday, July 13, 2020

Wandering Into Beth-el


Poem: for Proper 11, Year A  in the Revised Common Lectionary. 

For almost 9 years my Sunday reflections began with a prayer for a poem to show me the way through what God may be saying to me through the lessons in the Lectionary for the coming Sunday. I don't have the need for a finished reflection since I am not called to preach at a church now. But I find that I miss the prayer for a poem. Today's poem begins as I focused on the line from the Jacob's Ladder Dream story: “Surely the Lord is in this place and I did not know it.” ( Genesis 28:16) Jacob after his dream at what he called the Gateway to the House of God (Beth-el).

Wandering Into Beth-el.
When did I wander into Beth-el this morning?
Was it when after our dog snuggled to wake me,
wanting to walk eastward into the breeze of sea,
outside boring space to leave his scent adorning?
Was it in bed resting against my wife's back,
feeling sleeping warmth, debating to wake her,
to get her to prove her love could, to me assure,
my worth as husband, lover with nothing lack?
Was it when I decided to let my ego take a rest,
affirming that people are my gifts on this earth,
not as objects manipulated for perceived worth,
but to treasure without them having pass a test?
I wandered into Beth-el when I walked around
into the world where all of it, was holy ground.

This was the poem three years ago:
Question for 23 July: What has God been saying in your dreams?

If Jacob’s Were My Dream
But this isn’t right; sins call for damnation,
stern look, freezing glance, burning threat;
all are appropriate as chasing of a bad debt
not the soft caresses of seeming adoration.
Now God’s house fills the space between us;
once fleeing from my sins to places unknown
resting on rocks where pillows can be stone
where flowing love brings new blessing thus.
God’s angel arms wrapped round holding tight
until our ragged breaths join in becoming one,
 deep inhaling of the oaths we shared and done
as new dawn’s rosy fingers call an end to night. 
When divine truths shimmer in unbidden dreams
they can show new starts washed in love streams.

No comments:

Post a Comment