Monday, October 1, 2012

Lobstertality



 

File:SteamedLobster.jpgThe Lobsters have come and gone with five hundred plus lobsters served and sold the 5th annual Lobster Fest was declared a successful money maker.

 
 I really wasn’t all that interested in how much money we made but on (1) how the people of this church worked together, (2) how they welcomed visitors and (3) how much fun we had. 

(1)   We had some leaders but no prima donnas whose egos were wrapped up in this enterprise. I loved to  hear the noise and laughter as people get used to working shoulder to shoulder. For a while I was part of a group wrapping up cooked lobsters coming out of the cookers in paper in order to keep them fresh until they were served. Mindless work but there was something nice about as we laughed and shared information. I loved some of the work ethic as nobody slowed down. I looked in on the kitchen and they were also busily getting the rest of the sides of potato, salad and desserts ready and there was a pleasing sound of pleasant conversation by a group of hard working women. Sweating and smelling like lobster I left to attend a community Property Owners Association where was I was to give an invocation and looked greedily on the pork barbecue, fried chicken sides and beer ready to be served but lobster was on my menu. I went home washed off the sweat and lobster smell and came back to the church for the 5:00 serving where I was served by gracious people who paid attention and welcomed me back. Then I was part of the wait staff for the 7:00 seating and clean up afterward. Everything went so smoothly and it was fun to wait on people who were coming into our place.
(2)   Our people welcomed and served with joy. This is what you ask for in a church and we gave an impression that we enjoyed visitors, each other and a good time.
(3)   It was fun- exhausting but fun. The services the next morning had more than a few hard workers sleeping in but we all agreed that even if we had lost money- it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment