Monday, November 12, 2012

Reflection on Charles Simeon

 Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000003423 StartFragment:0000000457 EndFragment:0000003407


Today I was going through the prayers and noted that it was the Lesser Feast of Charles Simeon (September 24, 1759 – November 13, 1836) who for half a century was a Fellow at Kings College and preached at Holy Trinity, Cambridge and influenced decades of students. When I first seriously entertained the idea of being a Priest, I was teaching in a college and loved interacting with students and was drawn to the example of Simeon who by his teaching, preaching and example of his life changed lives. 
 

My problem was that I was filled with the hopes of grandeur and glory and meeting my own ego needs to show how bright and clever I was, and missed the point of learning how to empty myself so that God would shine through. I was deeply aware of my own failings and I wanted to mask them so that no one would ever know. It reminds me of the old joke about the actor who was accused of not being sincere, to which he replied, “If only I could fake sincerity I would have it made.”

Simeon understood the depth of his own sin but he could look at it with honesty and balance it with the love of God which redeems everything. He wrote:
I have continually had such a sense of my sinfulness as would sink me into utter despair, if I had not an assured view of the sufficiency and willingness of Christ to save me to the uttermost. And at the same time I had such a sense of my acceptance through Christ as would overset my little bark, if I had not ballast at the bottom sufficient to sink a vessel of no ordinary size.

One of the advantages of screwing up one's life is that failings become public and attempts to hide them are silly. Such was the case of my divorce and the subsequent acceptance of the broken man by the love of a congregation. Being a failure made me a better priest and keeps calling me back to remember who I really am- a fellow sinner beloved by Christ- at the end of the Reconciliation of a Penitent the Priest hears a confession, pronounces absolution and then says: “The Lord has put away your sins. Go in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.”

This weekend brought the news of the head of the CIA, a highly respected retired General, resigning in disgrace. My prayer for him, and for the rest of us – as the old Prayer Book used to call us -“Miserable Offenders”, is that we understand what we have done and then use the love of the forgiving power of the One Greater than Ourselves to find the strength to continue; to find who and whose we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment