Saturday, December 15, 2012

sermon for sunday- long nights of weeping but joy comneth in the morning

 
A Sermon for III Advent                         All Saints’ Episcopal, Southern Shores, NC December 16, 2012                                 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Today we light the pink candle in the Advent Wreath, and it symbolizes Joy. The past two weeks we have looked at the disciples of Hope and Love and next week we will light the candle for peace, but for us today we resonate in Psalm 30:5: “For God's anger endureth but a moment; in God's favour is life: weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.” 
 
I spent part of Friday night weeping as I held a grandmother and grandfather in my arms last night as we prayed to make sense of the horror which had visited their family. Their granddaughter had been one of those 20 children slaughtered and there are no easy bromides that we can cart out to cover it all up as some part of God's plan. This beautiful child had been here in Southern Shores and with all of her energy she had run the Turkey Trot and laughed. Her grandfather laughed about how much energy she had and then cried because he would never see that energy again in this life from her. For them and for all of us it will be a long night before joy cometh in the morning.


Joy cometh in the morning”, but how do we reconcile that promise with the Gospel lesson where John the Baptizer blasts out, “You brood of vipers, who warned you of the wrath to come? Bear fruits worthy of repentance.” I like the way that Eugene Peterson translates this verse - “Brood of snakes! What do you think you’re doing slithering down here to the river? Do you think a little water on your snakeskins is going to deflect God’s judgment? It’s your life that must change, not your skin.”


What is a viper? A Viper is a snake that, in order to stay alive, takes advantage of smaller creatures but lives in fear of things bigger than itself and will strike out to protect what it thinks it needs to have. They are sneaky, vicious, and merciless and like to crawl under rocks to be cool, lie out to bake in the sun to get warm, and their only joy is when they are destroying somebody else. Underneath, their life is dominated by fear, and the only option for someone in fear is “fight or flight”. I am sure that none of you know anybody like that. I am sure John is probably talking about other people and not us.


Except I have more than a sneaky suspicious that, if we dig deep enough, we can discover some snakeskins among us. Years ago when I was teaching in a college in Virginia, I would go back each summer to our place in Boone where, for grocery money, I would act in an outdoor drama. The summer before I went to seminary, they gave me the part of the villain, the British ( I gave him a Scottish accent), Col. Mackenzie. I was so mean and vicious that, every night during the climatic reenactment of the Revolutionary War battle of Kings Mountain, when it looked like I was going to kill the young heartthrob hero in a sword fight but at the last second I got killed by that sweet young man, the audience would cheer. Yet, there was more. At the acme of the cheer, in my final ounce of venom, I would shoot the young man in the back as he ran back in victory to oh-so-virtuous Dr. Geoffery Stuart, his loving father. I had played Dr. Stuart for several years, which was a much bigger part, but I sure enjoyed playing the villain, the viper, the snake in the grass.


When I played snakes in the grass, I did some healing of my soul. I knew what it was like to be a viper because in my life there were instances where I have been a viper. I had found all sorts of “good” reasons to justify myself, but now I had to get beyond the excuses. Coming to grips with my own “viperness”, I had to dig deeper for the roots, and I found, like the viper, I was ruled by fear, limiting my choices to fight or flight. But once I stopped trying to minimize my behavior as a way of distancing myself from responsibility for my actions, I had to accept that it was part of my shadow self, and once I really claimed my own shadow I could decide that I did not want to continue being trapped into destructive behavior – behavior that was destructive to myself and others. When I claimed my shadow, I could see there were other options for me to take. The Greek word for “Take another option” in the Gospel lesson is “metanoia” which can be, and is, translated as “repent”.


This is the situation that the people who come to John on the banks of the Jordan face. They are sick and tired of running away from themselves by acting like vipers. John calls them what they act like and gives them the insight to find another option. “And the crowds asked him, "What then should we do?" Look at the three options that John addresses:
There are those who are so ruled by fear that they are never going to have enough, so they clutch on to what they have because they are so afraid, but their fear tells them there is never enough. Luke remembers “In reply he said to them, "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise." It is only when you give, will you free yourself from fear. Figure how much you will give off the top as a way of being freed from your stuff controlling you, rather than you controlling your stuff. Misery is replaced by joy, or as the Psalmist says: “weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.”


Even tax collectors came to be baptized, and they asked him, "Teacher, what should we do?"” Tax collectors were agents of the Roman occupying forces and as such they were resented by the people. They were given quotas by the Romans, and the Romans did not care how they got the money. The tax collectors’ fears were that they were alienating themselves from their own people, so, trapped by the “fight or flight” mentality, they gouged the people so that might create strongholds of privilege for themselves. They felt trapped into being vipers. John said to them, "Collect no more than the amount prescribed for you." The option was to do their jobs honestly and fairly because if they refused to do the job entirely, the Romans would only bring in someone else who would gouge the people. There is a joy when you can face yourself in doing an unpleasant job with integrity - “weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.”


Soldiers also asked him, "And we, what should we do?"” Soldiers were strangers far from home and outnumbered by the civilian population which trapped them into fear, so, finding themselves unable to desert and flee, they turned into vipers and bullied the civilians. Bullies find they are strangers to themselves, and do things they find hard to live with. John says to them, "Do not extort money from anyone by threats or false accusation, and be satisfied with your wages." It is only when you allow yourself to be vulnerable that you have the option of feeling anything besides fear. Choosing the option of vulnerability, “weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.”

Isaiah sings of the choice we make in the Canticle we sang this morning: “Surely, it is God who saves me; * I will trust in him and not be afraid.” Joy is a choice we make each day. Real Joy does not come from having more stuff, from being islands of privilege, or from having control over people. Joy comes from trusting in a power greater than ourselves to free us from the tyranny of the fear of not having enough, the fear of isolation, or the fear of fear. “Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.”

That is the good news for us vipers.

No comments:

Post a Comment