Friday, October 18, 2013

A reflection on being marvelous made

Reflection on the Occasion of the Baptism of Joshua Emanuel Erazo 
October 20, 2013 
Pentecost XXII (Proper 24) 
All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, NC 
Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Let me warn you ahead of time that I was hoping that Nancy Rementer would be preaching at both services, so I used the time which I usually spend in preparation reading some more stuff from Frederick Buechner, a Presbyterian minister and author. It started off when Hilary West in Mexico sent me a long quote from Buechner about dreams, an area which we have talked about over the phone. I used the long quote for my Tomes for next month’s Trumpeter, and it inspired me to look at some of his books that I have and underline quotes from him on the net. So fair warning. There are three quotes from Buechner coming up - one in the beginning, one in the middle, one in the end. This is the first one, and it is from in one of his autobiographical works, The Sacred Journey: "All theology, like all fiction, is at its heart autobiography."

It is hard to be an unjust judge, it takes a lot of energy to go against who you are, but I don’t think the story that Jesus is telling in the Gospel is about judicial ethics; rather it is about ontological resonance- being who you are. Notice that there is no name for the judge and so we are invited to try the character of the judge on for size. Jesus is telling this story as he is on his way to Jerusalem where he is meeting his destiny, becoming who he is and his purpose in life. In looking at dreams we make assumptions that all the people of the dream are all parts of the one person of the dreamer. I think this story is Jesus’ internal struggle of living into himself as well as the personal and corporate struggles of those who follow Jesus, the struggle of incorporation of the whole person, being true to oneself instead of just being on the surface of ego expediency. 
Paul at age 3, sister Anne at 7 months and me at age 2  down in Salvador- he is further back from camera so he just seems smaller. Paul is wearing a straw hat like our gardener Amadeo


I had a brother Paul who was a year older than me, and I was in awe of him and I thought I could never catch up to him and be as big or strong or bright or popular or cool or good looking as he was. He was built differently than I was with dark black hair, ruggedly handsome, having a darker skin shade that never got sunburned like I did, and he moved with such grace that he was voted the “Handsomest Boy in the Senior Class” in our High School. When we were children in El Salvador and the maid took us for walks, the women would rub my copper red hair for luck and say, “Ay que Lindo!” because I was different and cute. But they would look at Paul and, not touching him, would say with an intake of interested breath and a whole different tone of voice, “Ay, que macho!” People always said he was “God’s gift to women.” I envied him because I thought he was indeed God’s gift.

For years I wanted to be more like Paul, but I was not created to be a Paul doppelganger. I was created to be who I am and that is different - not better, not worse, but different. Like the unjust judge I was not called to be an un-Tom Tom. Just like you are not to be an “un-Judy Judy” or an “Un-Steve Steve”, God wrote down God’s divine dream for each of us in the core of each of our beings. Jeremiah, in today’s Hebrew Testament lesson, says that God “writes God’s law on our hearts.” The law is not a series of statutes and ordinances, but a deep relationship with the divine and our true selves. We violate this law when we forget the relationship, when we forget the presence of God, when we forget who we are. It took me years to find out that I was also a gift from God and to find the joy of my heart when I am whom God dreamed me to be.

Today we will baptize Joshua Emanuel Erazo, and we will say that he is God’s gift to us. All I know about Joshua so far is that he is loved, he likes to snuggle, he has dark black hair, ruggedly handsome and won’t get too much sunburn. I know from his genetic makeup he will be strong, and he will inherit the inner strength of his parents, Jesus and Maricela. And we are here to make promises that we will help him and his parents and his sister, Diana, grow in their faith. “Growing in faith” means living fully into who you were created to be when God dreamed of each of us, being a contributing citizen of this world , a creature of flesh and mind, and a living home of the spirit of God. Buechner, again from The Sacred Journey , wrote "You can survive on your own; you can grow strong on your own; you can prevail on your own; but you cannot become human on your own."

Becoming fully human means to grow into the image of God in which we were created. The old phrase, “We are only human” is wrong - it should be that “We are marvelously human, fearfully and wonderfully made.” In the Gospel story from Luke for today, the unjust judge is out of balance with who he was created to be. In response to the presence of the Holy within his very being, symbolized by the widow’s constant badgering, he says, “Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming."

I think the point of the story is that, without coming to an awareness of the full person each of us is - the physical, the relational, the spiritual, an interaction of common purpose in the trinity of our being - we will have no peace. The judge has no peace when he denies his central identity of being fully and compassionately human. Jesus is telling the story from the core of his imagination about the struggle to find peace with his central identity. There is an old phrase about what happens when we forget the indwelling of the Holy within ourselves. It goes “No God = No Peace, Know God= Know Peace”.

Look at Joshua Emanuel’s name, and we are given a reminder of what we are about. The name Joshua comes from the Hebrew of “Yeshua”- or “Yahweh is our salvation, our deliverance” which is translated to the Greek as Jesus in the New Testament. Emanuel comes from the Hebrew “El = God and Emanuel = God is with us”. Our promises that we make in our Baptismal Covenant are to help Joshua, and each other, know God through us so that we might know Peace within and between us. We do this as much for ourselves as we do it for Joshua. Again to quote Frederick Buechner, this time from his Wishful Thinking: “The place God calls you to is where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

No comments:

Post a Comment