Saturday, November 30, 2013

Being a "see-er"

A Reflection for I Advent All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, NC December 1, 2013 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
I have returned to my winter habit and have grown a beard. I first grew a beard so I would look older when I was 17 and a college freshman at Chapel Hill. If the sun hit it just right, you might be able to see some fuzz. The next year, when I got a summer job at an Outdoor Drama in Florida, I was cast as a Spanish Conquistador and I was able to grow a full red beard. It indeed made me look older, but dang!! - a beard can be hot in Florida summers. So I decided that I would only grow one during the winter. The problem now is that the red is gone from my hair and beard and they are both snow white. I went to visit a parishioner last week who had a toddler grandson visiting, and when I rang the doorbell, he came to the door, his eyes full of astonishment, and he cried out “Santa Claus is at the door!” Our parishioner grew in the estimation of his grandson who believed that his grandfather was close friends with Santa Claus. I tried to dissuade him, but he stubbornly held on to the illusion. However, as he grows up, he will realize that I am not Santa Claus, and he will see the truth that I am a friend of his grandfather and then grow into his own dreams. That is what life is about - getting rid of illusions by seeing the truth and then living into one’s dreams.

The Hebrew Testament lesson is from the 2nd chapter of the Book of the prophet Isaiah. A prophet is a “seer”- one who sees things and tells the truth about them, and then sees the dreams God has and point us in the direction of the fulfillment of those dreams. The first thing Isaiah does is to strip away the illusions and speak the truth as God sees things, and he starts chapter one of the Book by pointing out to the people the truth behind their facades when they come to worship. Listen to how the translation of The Message reflects what Isaiah says that God sees:
Quit your worship charades.
    I can’t stand your trivial religious games:
Monthly conferences, weekly Sabbaths, special meetings—
    meetings, meetings, meetings—I can’t stand one more!
Meetings for this, meetings for that. I hate them!
    You’ve worn me out!
I’m sick of your religion, religion, religion,
    while you go right on sinning.
When you put on your next prayer-performance,
    I’ll be looking the other way.
No matter how long or loud or often you pray,
    I’ll not be listening.
And do you know why? Because you’ve been tearing
    people to pieces, and your hands are bloody.
Go home and wash up.
    Clean up your act (12-17). . . . (and)
Oh! Can you believe it? The chaste city
    has become a whore!
She was once all justice,
    everyone living as good neighbors,
And now they’re all
    at one another’s throats.
Your coins are all counterfeits.
    Your wine is watered down.
Your leaders are turncoats
    who keep company with crooks.
They sell themselves to the highest bidder
    and grab anything not nailed down.
They never stand up for the homeless,
    never stick up for the defenseless. (21-23)

Any of that vision of the truth sounds familiar to you? Isaiah is speaking the truth in the 8th Century BC, and here we are in the 21st Century and it sure sounds like the here and now with our love of violence as we tear people apart with words or weapons, our inequality of wealth brought about by greed and the exploitation of the poor and marginalized, and the sale of our leaders to the highest bidders.

The second job of the prophet after stripping us of our illusions is to paint a vision of how God would like to see us, and here in the second chapter we see those who follow God beating swords into plowshares, spears into pruning hooks, and people no longer studying war. The prophet is a see-er who sees the truth behind the lies we live and also sees the dreams God has for us. Two weeks ago I woke up from a dream with an old 1950’s song written by Ed McCurdy rattling around in my head, and I realized why this week when I looked at the lessons. You may have heard the song (we used to sing it in peace demonstrations back when I had a red beard) “Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream”:
Last night I had the strangest dream
I ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed
To put an end to war
I dreamed I saw a mighty room
The room was filled with men
And the paper they were signing said
They'd never fight again
And when the papers all were signed
And a million copies made
They all joined hands and bowed their heads
And grateful prayers were prayed
And the people in the streets below
Were dancing round and round
And guns and swords and uniforms
Were scattered on the ground
Last night I had the strangest dream
I ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed 
To put an end to war
How many lies we tell ourselves and others to justify war. Wars end when we rid ourselves of our greed to possess what our neighbor has. The beginning of the end of war is me renouncing greed on a daily basis. Wars end when we stop glorifying violence. The beginning of the end of war is me renouncing violence on a daily basis. How many hours are we watching movies, television, and playing video games which teach us the joy of killing people for our own advantage? The beginning of the end of war is me renouncing the learning of war on a daily basis. How much money do we spend on weapons both as a nation and as individuals? In two weeks we remember the one-year anniversary of a disturbed young man, who spent hours on end playing violence-glorifying games, arming himself with weapons of mass destruction and going forth to live into his fantasy by slaughtering little children. We were appalled - and then we lost our nerve for we did not want to divorce ourselves from violence and weapons. Wars end when we give up our love affair with weapons. The beginning of the end of war is me renouncing weapons on a daily basis. How many times do we brood about revenge? Wars end when we rid ourselves of the desire to get even. The beginning of the end of war is me renouncing revenge on a daily basis.

The means for achieving turning swords into plowshares is simple, not easy but simple; we just lack the will to try to live into God’s dream for us. Living into the peace of God which was proclaimed was not attempted and found impossible; it was just found difficult and not attempted. Every week we proclaim in the Creed that we expect the return of Christ. This Advent I invite you to be a see-er and ask for the Risen Christ to return and give us the will to do what he asks. As the Gospel reminds us: “Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour."


No comments:

Post a Comment