Thursday, December 19, 2013

Joseph of Nazareth: A Poem of his Reflection


This is a poem I wrote as this sermon and if you wish- you can hear me read it on You Tube     

A Reflection for IV Advent                                           All Saints Episcopal Church, Southern Shores, NC December 22, 2013                                                       Thomas E. Wilson Rector
Isaiah 7:10-16                     Romans 1:1-7                     Matthew 1:18-25
Joseph of Nazareth
A Poem of His Reflection
Facing my death giving thanks for life with you
Once all planned, and almost not to be in view.
Now remembering day your father my workshop came
Dragging you behind him, face full fury and yet shame.
“Joseph”, said he, “I speak with scattered pride to you
Of promises not honored which were meant to be true.
This worthless one’s mother news to me this day impart
Words that singed the proud peacock feathers of my heart.
She, this one, her mother says has missed two of monthly wound,
Red tent free, breaking the cleansing ancient compact with moon.
She, this one, stands before you splitting my trust from source
So now I ask if in kindness for me, not for her, you give divorce.”

And you cried, “Joseph it is not for lack of love for you.
But angel came and gave gift from the One who is true.”
“Silence”, your father thundered, “do not with blasphemy sin.
Blessed be he whose name cannot be said out loud or within
Your mad fantasies, soiled one. To distant cousin you shall go
Until confinement, so shame this family will not more undergo.”
Shaken to my core, images flooding eyes so that I burst out weeping,
Seeing my precious, my beloved one, in the arms of another sleeping.
To stop the clatter of demons of hurt, I screwed my courage and said
“Divorce I will grant for the one I love in quiet gentle way and she dead
To heart shall be, with deepest sadness dismantle I our marriage bed.”

You cried out, “Joseph never doubt my love for you is true.
I will to end of life be faithful to the NAME, our son and you.”
For weeks after you father dragging weeping and to cousin sent
I stuffed down all daylight thoughts, but nightly dreams present
Of mercy to be showed of which ignored I for months of three
Putting off decree decision; blaming withered fondness for see
each other not. Finally that night came when Mary’s Angel to bed
Visited, filling room and resident with dreaming of fearing dread.

This was no kindly shade of a domestic children’s sport
But the energy fullness of the unspoken NAME’s retort,
Lover spurned who wished to whisper reconciliation in my ear
But chose visions, tardy unearthly creatures to fill unbidden fear.

“Wake up! Arise! To the hill country go and there on bended knee
Ask forgiveness of a heart so filled with self pity pride, banning glee.
Beg her to return so that you might join in the NAME’s simple plan
To be a guide whose loving hand will help the infant child to stand,
To stand not only on his own feet but to stand under the glorious light
And be the light as each day with powers we summon strength to fight
The Demons of our own short comings, when lacking courage to love
We wrap ourselves in being right, how well I know, wrapped in glove,
So heavy we cannot feel the loss of being human love in this world
When in chaos all around us in faux righteousness we are whirled.

Oh, my wife, how humbled am I that you take me to husband back
When the Intimate Blessed One shown through you forgiving the lack
Of kindly love and then through that love shared we to make three
Outward and visible signs of the presence of the Holy purpose shone
As we combined our strengths to guide our son to be man full grown.
As with all of life, mine I do not understand but give love returned
Full measure and more in thanks for real chance to have life turned.
My beloved wife, bless me as I die as the NAME has blessed me all days
And nights and see me as in long ago safely in that old star’s blessed rays.
There will be another morning many years from now when rise the sun
Will shine on us again; you and me and the product of our love, our Son.



No comments:

Post a Comment