Saturday, December 14, 2013

Magnificat and red boxers



A Reflection for III Advent All Saints’ Episcopal, Southern Shores, N.C. December 15, 2013 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Today we sang the Magnificat, the Song of Mary, who sings a song of thanksgiving, magnifying the Lord, after an Angel speaks to her and tells her of God’s plan for her. The song she sings is not really her own, but it is her version of an ancient song called the Song of Hannah found in the book of Samuel. It is sung by an old woman with thanksgiving when she is told by a priest during a worship service that God would answer her prayers and she would become pregnant. Two different women - one old who feels as if life has passed her by and the other who has just gotten engaged and is full of hope for the future. For Hannah, the good news will be an answer to years of prayer, and for Mary, the news will be troubling since she is not yet married. They are divided in time by 1000 years of history, divided and yet united in the song they sing. The uniting theme is that they are both loved, and they are asked to bring the spirit of God into themselves and, out of that willing love, bring forth love, bring forth hope, bring forth joy, bring forth justice, bring forth peace. Hannah’s son will be Samuel, who is the one who will anoint David as the King, and Mary’s son will be Jesus, who will be called the King of the Jews. 
 
When Scripture tells us stories of the past, those stories speak to God’s people. The point of these stories is not to give history lessons or to be collectors of trivia or adiaphora – matters of indifference, to stay on the literal level, to stay on the surface - but the point of faith is to look deeper, to go to the core. In the Magnificat, when we look at the core, we find the symbolic center which sings that God rejoices, has joy, in us, and we rejoice, have joy, in God, and in this relationship the world is made a better place. Messages from the Divine are not meant to be stored in one’s own private treasure chest of memory to be hoarded for private spirituality but to be used to change the world.

When Luke remembers this story, the editor is asking the listener to take the song into her or his heart and ask “How can I open myself to the Divine message and give hope, joy, justice and peace?”. Each of us is invited to sing, “The Lord has shown favor on me, I have been blessed beyond all that I deserve; therefore how can I bring forth blessings.” 
 
Divine messages are communicated in many ways - in nature, in the holy space between people, in liturgy, in direct spiritual experiences of visions, in the study of other people’s experiences and dreams as in the Bible, and in thousands of years of other experiences. Divine messages come in so many ways. The word Angel means “messenger” and is one way that messages are delivered. 
 
Most of you know I was gone last week as Pat and I were at the Kanuga Conference Center attending our second of six Intensive Training sessions for becoming Dream Group Leaders. We believe that dreams are one of the ways that the Divine speaks to us through symbols. Dreams have many details and sometimes you want to find out what the details mean, to do analysis of each thing, but the problem is that keeps us in our head and on the surface. What we are learning is that, when we gather in a Dream Group, we are not asked to show how bright we are and interpret every little facet of someone else’s dream, but to look deeper and to take the dream upon ourselves and find how it speaks to our souls, our deep spirits.

Let me give you an example of a dream I had that the group worked with me on and took into themselves. I call it “Red Boxers”
and I dreamed it as we were into the stewardship campaign, which is a stress-filled time for clergy, and getting ready for the dream training, and looking at 5 years from now when I will have to retire. All of these issues are anxiety producers, and we believe that dreams are meant for our health and healing:

I am in Western North Carolina doing a tour of streams and rivers on which to canoe, and this is against the backdrop of the Election of a Bishop, so there is lots of buzzing about the election ( there is no election in Western North Carolina- but I am on the search committee for a new Bishop in East Carolina). The bus that we are on is driving around mountains with lots of beautiful views. We get out and wade in the waters. We stop and get out to pick up some treats made out of honey. The scene shifts, and I find myself entering a church because I am subbing for a priest in a communion service. I look down and see that I am dressed in red - bright red - boxer shorts. Did I feel so comfortable that in the wading I stripped down to boxers? I don’t know and I feel a bit confused, but no one seems to comment. I go into the chapel and find that it has not been set up. There is no chasuble, so I am helped into a small woman’s or child’s poncho with only a small opening. I am not sure that my head can fit through, and it barely makes it. There is no stole, but they take a lace table cloth and gather it together, and it is bulky and clumsy. As I move around with it I am knocking some things over. People come in but not to attend the service - they are coming in to have lunch around tables, and there are waiters taking orders and customers talking and laughing with each other, and I am doing the service. There is no bread and no wine – so we use some coke and maple sugar candy figures.
I wake up.

On the surface we can look at water, which is a symbol for the unconscious, and going to Western North Carolina to go deeper into the unconscious. I was fed honey like John the Baptist in the Wilderness. Stripping down to boxers can mean getting rid of all I hide behind, being vulnerable. In the personal unconscious, the color red can mean passion, love, or danger for, since red is the color of blood, it can mean something that will cost dearly, a sacrifice. Yet in the collective unconscious, red is a color of happiness. That is why Chinese restaurants use so much red in their decorations. In the dream, I am still a Priest and I do the service, but I can no longer fit my very self, my theology, my understanding into the narrow confines of standard worship. I am clumsy and silly looking; can they really afford me, do I really belong?

Dreams don’t come to tell us what we already know but to tell us what we need to know and to give clues to find the way for healing and wholeness. If that is so, then the deeper message for me in this dream is that I am too worried about the church, for the community has gathered together and is being fed despite me. I am not the church; to the contrary, it will continue without me. It is God who feeds me and feeds the congregation. My actions seem to be like those of a woman beginning the second trimester of a pregnancy, when clothes no longer fit and she feels clumsy. What is it that I have inside me that the Divine has planted that I need to carry, nurture, and bring forth? What I am called to do in the meantime is to be faithful and point to the work we are called to do and to the source of all of our blessings. Like Mary, I am to go deeply into myself and give what the Divine has given to me. The deeper message is to sing the Magnificat; 
 
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; *
    for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed: *
    the Almighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him *
    in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm, *
    he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, *
    and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, *
    and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel, *
    for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
The promise he made to our fathers, *
    to Abraham and his children for ever.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
    as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.
 
That is one of my dreams; take it and make it yours. Take Mary’s and Hannah’s visits with the Divine and make them yours. How are you blessed, having your pride scattered? How are you feeding the hungry with Good things, sharing mercy, hope, justice and love? How are you magnifying, praising, rejoicing? Are you open to hearing God, taking the Divine inside yourself, and then ready to give out of yourself in joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment