Thursday, October 15, 2015

Memories of Service; Reflection and Poem for 18 October 2015



A Reflection for XXI Pentecost (Proper 24)              All Saints’ Church, Southern Shores, NC October 18, 2015                                                 Thomas E. Wilson, Rector
Job 38:1-7, (34-41)      Psalm 104:1-9, 25, 37b                  Hebrews 5:1-10           Mark 10:35-45
Memories of Service
This week began with a confrontation with myself. An older (older than me) male member of the parish came in to drop off a file cabinet. I was sitting in my office trying to figure out what I could possibly say about the Gospel lesson from Mark for today. Judy was going over options with him and she suggested that, since I did not need another filing cabinet in my office, she could help him unload the cabinet and place it in the choir room. The older male member announced, “No”, he would try to handle it, and if not able to do it alone, he would come back and ask her help. At that moment, I had this vision of my Grandmother looking at me sitting down at my desk while an older person and a woman were moving heavy objects. I could hear her say, “Mister Tom, you were reared better than this - to sit idly by while a lady and an elderly gentleman are forced to do physical labor. You ignore your upbringing! Get up NOW sir!” I wanted to reply to her that I am an old man now as well, and besides - I believe in the equality of the sexes and for me to offer to help would betray the fact that I am a male chauvinist pig. However, I got up and helped him because I “knew” that my Grandmother would have slapped me for what she would have seen as a breach of manners. 

My grandmother died decades ago and I do not remember a time she would have ever, or had ever, slapped me. She was a very good woman, but I knew that she always wanted me to be better than I was. My own self-doubt and self-loathing I projected onto her, and that projection is alive in the core of my being.   My projection onto her still knows how to disapprove. Our projections onto people, either positive or negative, usually tell us more about us rather than the person on whom we place our projections. The only way we are ever to be in a real relationship is when we are able to withdraw our projections.

Let me give you an example. Two people fall “in love” with each other. However, what they have actually done is to develop a romance with the projections of the kind of person their egos want the other to be and place those projections on each other. It is only when they face hard times together that they might be tempted to withdraw their projections and accept the other person as a full human being. The phrase, “He is not the man I married!”, is true because he never was.

My grandmother projection is a symbol in what I would call a much larger “Mother” archetype, a universal figure in the collective unconscious which all humans share in their different religious and mythic concepts. All beings have a memory of “Mother” and it is multidimensional - from Goddess, to Mother Earth, to Earth Mother, to Virgin Mother,  to Monstrous Mother threatening to devour her young, to Lot’s wife frozen into salt looking away into the past - powerful imagery as we come to make sense of the whole birth and separation experiences we all have. My Grandmother is one part of my many complexes, or constellations of emotionally charged feelings and ideas centered on an archetypal figure in my personal unconscious. All of us, all of God’s chilluns, got complexes; we walk around with all sorts of unconscious complexes built around our experiences in life. Part of the healing of the soul is to be aware of those times as we walk on the Swiss cheese-like floor of our conscious life and suddenly fall through into a complex which dictates our behavior without thinking. If we are not aware of them, they come up and bite us, or Jung has said, “What we do not bring to the light of consciousness we tend to see as fate”.

James and John in the Gospel lesson seem to be operating under a Father complex in the personal unconscious around a much larger Father archetype in the Collective Unconscious. Remember the story of James and John who are working under their father Zebedee as fishermen, and when Jesus calls them to follow him, they leave their father Zebedee in the boat and follow Jesus. They may have left Zebedee in the boat, but they shift the Father Complex constellation to the person of Jesus. Just as they were used to be the “owners in waiting” on the fishing boats, now they become “high officials in waiting” in the glory of the Kingdom that they hope Jesus is going to establish. In their understanding, the archetype of Father is the one filled with power over others, and they project this onto Jesus.

Interestingly enough, when Matthew remembers this story in his Gospel, he projects the request onto the mother of James and John, and she is the one whom asks for her sons’ sakes. Mothers are always easy to blame for one’s own complexes. Part of the ministry of Jesus is to redefine the “Father” archetype to move from being an imperious ruler, a tyrant over others, to being a servant of all. Instead of building oneself up, one empties oneself out. To be a servant was not to be at another’s beck and call to fulfill their wants and desires, but to do what is best for all. Jesus, who calls God “Father”, sees his life as a redefinition of the God archetype, away from Father Controller of life, to one who is Giver of Self and is the ground, the energy, of all life. The suggestion is that if we are in the image of God, then we too are to be givers of self, participating in the divine energy of life.

The phrase “Public Service” used to be popular, and people said something like, “I offer myself to serve as your town councilperson, your county commissioner, your representative, your senator, your governor, your president.” We are entering into an election cycle, and part of our task is to ask if the proposed “servant’ is meaning to be a servant of help to bring about what is best for all or, instead, if they see themselves as controllers of all for the benefit of the candidate’s ego or agenda or core supporters. What we seen so far in the debates of both parties are not presentations of willing servants, but of projections on steroids - projections which say more about them than they may realize.

Being a “servant” is a challenge for the church as well. I am called to serve in this church, but my title, “Rector”, a term which suggests the “Father” Archetype, comes from the Latin meaning “Ruler”, a word that in English means both a King or something that measures and sets straight lines. When I am at my best, I serve with you for the benefit of all, giving myself while participating with you in the divine energy of life.  But there are moments when my personal unconscious interferes and I want to promote my own agenda and set you straight or rule over you. I am not here to drop a load of guilt on you about what you should do, or what can be called “Should-ing all over you”. Somedays I do better than others.  But I am here to share the love I know, not the compulsions of my shadows. As Jung said:

 “As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being” . . .” That is the meaning of divine service, of the service which we [sic “man”] can render to God, that light can emerge from the darkness, that the Creator may become conscious of the Creator’s [sic “His”] creation, and we [sic man] conscious of ourselves [sic himself].

We are in the Stewardship season and the question for this season, and indeed for all seasons, is not “what is the budget?” or “do we satisfy your projections” but “who or what or how do we serve?”

Poem: Memories of Service
Like Dowson’s Cynara; she hides and waits
unannounced claiming  moments victorious
whenever a guard leaves unlocked the gates
holding back the floods of a guilt inglorious.
Shame rises not only for the mere deed itself
but the self whose hands, or ways of thought
didst fall so short of expectation of magic elf
who should of joys and wonders had brought,
but failed earned approval but only tolerance.
Her body has left our earth but ghostly linger
in spirit prisons by stingy rationed sufferance.
Yet there are moments when her soft fingers
caress my face with love; her only son’s son,
one of three. My memories of her, truly false
for me to hold. She never did lower to a shun,
remaining my partner in this, a one last waltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment