Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Given Gift; Reflection and Poem for Pentecost Sunday 2017


A Reflection for Pentecost Sunday All Saints Episcopal and Immanuel Lutheran Churches June 4, 2017 Thomas E. Wilson, Preacher
The Given Gift
Did you ever have a gift given to you that you didn’t know what to do with? You know it is a gift given with love that somebody thought you would like but you aren’t really sure. You don’t want to hurt the giver yet it is not something that you are used to. What would you do?

I can think of several choices:
Option one: Try the gift out a few times out of love and thank them for the opportunity.
Option two: Thank the giver by writing a note and place the gift in your closet until the giver actually asks about it and then out of love you use it or wear it and then it goes back in the closet.
Option three: You thank them for the thought and the love behind the gift, then apologize and ask if they can make someone else happy with their generous gift.
Option four: You take the sales receipt and exchange it for something that you feel would really work for you being upfront with the giver thanking them for the opportunity to use the love behind the gift.
Option five: You approach the giver, thank them for the love and then ask what were they thinking and have a good laugh about it.

I’m sure there are other options but these are the ones that I have had some history with as either the giver or receiver throughout my life when a gift has been given or received out of love. The older I get the more I see that I live in a universe of loving gifts without number. From the morning when I get out of bed and take the dog for a small constitutional before I do my exercises the gifts keep coming. I leave the house where I know that I have been gifts of love the day before. There is gift of the breeze that comes from the ocean, the sight of the stars and moon, the sound of the animals in the dark woods, the songs of the birds as dawn breaks, the fact that I am in the Outer Banks, the neighbors and friends and ministry. If there is a storm I know of the gift of the house that Pat and I are buying and the fact that we were able to find it. All day long I see gifts. Some gifts are better than others I have gotten out of bed and so the day is a gift and my task is to find the gifts I can give real thanks for. I can echo the psalmist’s opening line from the selection for today. I am going to use the Robert Alter translation where he follows the King James Version: “How many are Your deeds, O LORD, all of them You do in wisdom. All the earth is filled with Your riches.” The Hebrew word for “creatures” in the Prayer Book translation also means “acquisitions”, which I see as gifts shared.

I can be a prisoner of my own ego, held captive to my own agendas, living in a mental and spiritual gulag as my own warders keeping me away from Grace or I can see all the world as Grace and say; “Yes and thank you.”

I think of the disciples in John’s Gospel how they are afraid of the day and loaded down with guilt and in the middle of the fear so that they are locked in and they hold the only key. But the Risen Lord comes in, needing no key, and breathes on them, giving the strength to meet the day ahead without fear, to no longer be their own prisoners by giving the gift of the spirit to forgive as he has lovingly forgiven them. There is a joke about guilt that it is the gift that keeps on giving but I think that it is forgiveness that is the gift that really keeps on giving in a richer life.

When Paul writes to the Corinthians he is telling them that there are many gifts that God has showered on the community and all of the gifts have in common the opportunity to build up the church of faith. But the Corinthian community has been prisoners of their own egos as each one is in competition to see which has the best gift. Paul suggests that their gifts were not given to them to hoard as ransom for their low self-esteem by the Spirit had given these gifts so also they are to use by them to put into play the greatest gift; love. The importance of the gift is not what it does for the recipient but for how it might be used to build up the community in love which underscores every gift. He is telling them this in the 12th chapter of his letter and he is leading up to the point of the letter, the 13th chapter which begins:
If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

I think of the apostles locked in their room in the reading from the Book of Acts. Jesus, in the time between the resurrection and ascension, had sent them out into all the world and what did they do? They gathered together to figure out what to do next. I think they are praying to God asking God what did God think she was doing, for they were prisoners of their own timidity; afraid of making a mistake, afraid of failure. The spirit in the midst of their uncertainty gives them the gift of setting them free so that whatever is said is said with love. The gift they needed was love which was there all the time; all they needed to do was to act on that love. The gift that was given, the marvelous gift of tongues, was probably not a gift they asked for or knew what to do with, but it was the love behind, in, under and through was what was the miracle, as it still is for us today.

We gather together today as two communities of Lutherans and Episcopalians, we have different gifts, we find many things that divide us yet there is one thing that unites us; the realization that we were all given the gift which we did not ask for nor deserve but makes all the difference; the love which God showers on us and which we can best use by using it to feed our souls in order to be set free so that we will give freely that love to this broken world.


The Given Gift
Thanks for the gift God. Now what do with it
during the time after I did not ask to be born
til unable to avoid dying; of my breath shorn
and the last line of my obituary is finally writ?
Don’t turn the question back to me! You chose
that gift when another could have done better
to give me more of power, prestige and worth.
Now supposed on special occasion bring it forth
to show how good you are,? Or just write a letter?
Why don’t you, like the others, just stroke my ego
or send me some money to buy my heart’s desire?
Instead you give it to me to build up people higher,
closer to you, instead of stranded on archipelago
of gulag of our own construction and design
we set up to hold the idols of our own shrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment