Thursday, August 17, 2017

Two "More Comfortable" Nights

The lesson for Sunday is about Jesus hesitating to respond in love to a Canaanite woman because of  his tribe's ethnic prejudice. He hears her speak with the voice of his own divine unconscious which brings them both healing. I was reminded of a time when I was trying to get a hotel room when I was 19 as I was passing through a town and was told I would "be more comfortable" at another hotel by the railroad tracks. The events in the last couple weeks remind me of the times I was told so many years ago that those people not like me would be more comfortable in their own schools, their own neighborhoods, their own churches as a way for us to no longer care about the racial and class hatred on which our society depends to enforce divisions so that  we might continue to be fuel for the engines of repression.

The question is the question for All Saints Parishioners to reflect upon before the service begins. I will not be there since Pat and I are going to watch the totality of the full eclipse on the 21st.

Question: “When was it hard for you to care?”

Two “More Comfortable” Nights
Walking into the hotel, bearded, jeaned and tired
The desk attendant sneering; “May I help you?”
I ask for a room. He really wanted me to shoo,
said I’d be “more comfortable” at place less desired.
The form was all on surface very polite but distain
was the menu that night for it was not my comfort
which called him to care, but his own discomfort
of having to place himself as a servant to deign.
Wrapped in tattered dignity I walk over to tracks
where the “more comfortable” place was found
spending the night with bitter thoughts abound
how I should’ve responded with a couple smacks.
Years later as a Chaplain, given a comatose thug
in the process of dying. He was rotten to the core,
his family could not stand to be on the same floor
but that night he’s one that Christ calls me to hug
as my brother. I clumsily welcome him with prayer
and bid him be “more comfortable” in my care.

No comments:

Post a Comment