Monday, September 17, 2012

"gird em up"

 "gam zu l'tovah"

Today I was talking to a man whose sister died last week and he said that his sister has written on her mirror in Hebrew  'gam zu l'toaah". It comes from the book of Genesis after Jacob dies in Egypt and Joseph's brothers who hasd sold Joseph into slavery are afraid of his revenge for all the evil that they had done to him. Joseph says:
כ  וְאַתֶּם, חֲשַׁבְתֶּם עָלַי רָעָה; אֱלֹהִים, חֲשָׁבָהּ לְטֹבָה, לְמַעַן עֲשֹׂה כַּיּוֹם הַזֶּה, לְהַחֲיֹת עַם-רָב. 20 And as for you, ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.   

In 13 days I will be presiding at her memorial service- a woman who was filled with joy and talent and she believed  "gam zu l'tovah" that all things that happen are for the good. I am not sure I believe it for I look at the book of Job which were the Hebrew testament lessons for Morning Prayer for the last several weeks and it struggles with the whole question of why do bad things happen  to good people. 
Blake_1793_Job's_Tormentors.jpg(500 × 377 pixels, file size: 56 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)



On Saturday's section God's answer to Job in Chapter 38 is very unsatisfying:
1Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
3Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

And it goes on and on -- a version of "if you are so smart answer me this!"  We want to get God off the hook  instead of for being a bully who doesn't care the big BF Skinner in the sky. Billy boy Shakespeare in Lear has Gloucester note: " As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods. They kill us for their sport."  

I don't think God causes suffering but I do believe that God brings about redemption. I guess that is why I want so much in an afterlife when all things are redeemed. I try to live that view and ask myself when something bad happens, "How can God use this for the best. " I believe God co-creates with us to work out something that can redeem the inexplicable, and redeem the obscene. 

This woman who died touched so many lives, and she lived each day working that God was making things for the best.  She died being faithful. While I am left arguing with God. In today's morning prayer (Job 40:1-24) section the dialogue with Job continues:
1. Moreover the Lord answered Job, and said,
2 Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.
3 Then Job answered the Lord, and said,
4 Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.
5 Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.
6 Then answered the Lord unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
7 Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
8 Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? 

Apparently it is "gird up" time.

O God give us the strength to accept the bad things that happen so that we might work with God on how we can faithfully see and make it for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment