Saturday, September 8, 2012

Morning walk in the waning moon

One of the best times I have here on the Outer Banks is the Pre-dawn hours. I am an introvert so I find the quiet conducive to my soul. The difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that if an introvert wants to find out what s/he extrovert really thinks or feels they will get off by themselves and get quiet whereas an extrovert will need to connect with a couple friends to check out reality. My walks in the morning are my way to return myself to sanity- or a version of reality in which I am comfortable.

The Outer Banks has a darkness with very little ambient light especially in the off season. In my neighborhood we have no street lights and the waning half moon this morning gave all the light that was necessary. Oh sure, there are some houses that I pass that are owned by people who are here part time and they have all their outside lights ON as if they are part of the witness protection program and want to feel as if they are back in the city. For the most part the permanent residents came here to get away from the lights.


The waning moon reminded me that all the light I had was only a reflection of the much greater light that I could not see directly. It is how I know God - not directly but only through pale reflection. How puny all of my observations are and how silly it seems to be an expert on that which I can only see filtered. I am reminded of the inhabitants of Plato's cave. I am able to look up and see the sky and am aware of how large the universe seems to be and how small all the things I worry about are and how limited my vision is.

This morning I was walking Yoda, the dog we got from the shelter a couple weeks ago, and he was so interested in all the scents of the deer, fox, cats and what all that had been left behind for his enjoyment and to give him an opportunity to cover over with his own scent that it was not a good exercise walk but it was good to slow down  and listen to the crickets. Usually when I am walking I try to work out a sweat as a way to cleanse my body and brain -- today was easy as my companion and I  both were struck with how our universe is greater than our ability to leave a lasting mark. Today I will see people and will try to leave some small compassion but will point to the one who is greater than I instead of just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment