Thursday, May 4, 2017

Poem for Reflection on May 7, 2017

I will be out of town on this coming Sunday but this is my poem reflecting on my job description of Shepherd of Souls at this church

Good Shepherd Sunday 2017
Shepherd is not a word in my daily vocabulary
but in my job description of things to have done,
before the light slowly fades from the setting sun,
tasks to be performed by a spiritual constabulary;
making sure order is done and sinners corralled
while tallying numbers of  all the bleating sheep
needing to be pastured back to a sermon sleep
while spreading care to one who’s sick or jailed.
There are days I realize that I am only one bleater
among so many and all I can do is to bleat out hope
by sharing an experience of when I couldn’t cope
so I turned to trust the one that I see as my leader.
I am not a constable or a champion; just a person
in the process of healing calling self as “Parson”.

No comments:

Post a Comment